High F# key or no

• Members

Hello,

Why are saxophones more expensive when you get them without a High F# key?

How hard is it to make a High F# without this key?

I like the Selmer Flamingo, but it has no High F# key.

Between this horn and the Yamaha yas-82z which would you choose?

Sincerely,

Injam

• Members

Hi, these particular Selmer saxes are made to the specs of certain original Mark VI horns, that is why high F is standard with them and this line is dedicated to Parker (that's the reason for all the bird themes on each horn.)

Yamaha 82Z are different horns and I would definitely recommend that you try out both horns if you can. Yanagisawa altos are very nice, some have that dark centered tone like the Selmers, definitely a player's horn though.

Actually most horns are made standard with high F# keys nowadays.

Selmer introduced the high F# key as far back as 1961 on certain Mk VI horns, I had a chance to get a 1961-62 era silver plated alto which I regretfully passed up. All my horns have the key but I don't really use it that much at all except to extend some of the altissimo range.

F# is not too hard to get, press down the alternate F key and Bb and to get the note to 'speak' or play more centered you can open up the G# key. I would practice getting the alt. F down first (alt F and C key and again open the G# key if the note sounds nasally or stuffy).

Hello,

Why are saxophones more expensive when you get them without a High F# key?

How hard is it to make a High F# without this key?

I like the Selmer Flamingo, but it has no High F# key.

Between this horn and the Yamaha yas-82z which would you choose?

Sincerely,

Injam

Archived