Soundman Needed 11/21 north Chicago 'burbs

• Members

My soundman had an emergency and can't make it for Fridays show. In a real bind here as we MUST have a soundman.

This would be a walk on gig, no hauling or setup.

House handles about 150 people.

We're running silent, all in ears, no amps, e-drums. Only vocals, some cymbals, and acoustic guitar makes noise on stage. Everything goes through the PA.

6 piece, classic rock covers, e-drums, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, keys, bass. 4 vocals.

We're running 2 powered speakers over 2 subs. Mixwiz 16/2, Driverack PX, no real effects, maybe some verb on the vocals. 4 channels of compression for vocals.

We don't like to be too loud.

This is a paid gig, but I can't afford flying you out from LA, the limo and a hotel.

Show is in Highland park, IL on Friday 11/21. Sound check between 6-7, downbeat at 9, 3 sets until about midnight.

Anyone game? Respond here and/or PM me.

Mods please move if this post is 'uncool', thanks!

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys, It looks like jwlussow is going to drive the system tonight, I am really looking forward to this.

Hopefully he won't be too horrified by the bush league copy of his system. I know he'll be able to pull the best out of it though. I will update tomorrow.

People. Helping people. Isn't it beautiful?

• Members

I'll go first....

Great bunch of guys (and girl). Interesting room. Awesome setlist. The sound system consisted Behringer powered tops over Yorkville subs (I'm sure HCRobe can give model specifics), Driverack PX, Mixwiz, not sure about the amp driving the subs. Everybody used a personal Rolls mixer for in ears. The drummer had an acoustic set with mesh heads and triggers through and Alessis brain and BFD. The system really sounded pretty good.

The bass went through an Avalon tube pre. I was fighting the bass most of the night. I couldn't clean it up as much as I'd like, especially with the 4 string bass, which was used on 75% of the songs. The 6 string with 9 volt Bartolini's was incredibly clear and clean. The 4 string was just mud and I'm not sure of the config.

The drums overall were good but only sending 2 channels to the board limited what I could do with the sound. The snare was almost silent for the first set. The second set was better but they still used some verb through BFD and it wasn't as clean as I'd like. The third set was much better as they adjusted a little more. It would have been good if I had the computer and BFD at FOH or they sent separate channels to the board.

The stage was a typical wood riser with a second riser for drums. The subs were set too close to the stage (front corners of the riser) even though there was additional room off farther to the side. The third set had some problems when the guitarist (Rob) sang lead as his mic was actually set up right next to the sub. I couldn't get his vocals over the top and it was one of my favorite songs (Grey Seal) and the only one he sang lead on.

There was a new female singer who comes from a Karaoke background. Live music is a little different. She was actually very good after I tried to help her with her mic technique. She was using a 57 and when it was in the stand she sang about 6" to 8" away from it and when she held it, it was down at her chin and she sang over it. She was nervous and she also had lots of friends complaining that they couldn't hear her. They were right. By the third set her technique was much better and she sang Piece of my Heart really well. I believe that alcohol might have helped her loosen up a bit, too.

There were also some gain structure issues that needed to be addressed. Sometimes it isn't the best idea to just except the Driverack's wizard's config. Tweaking is always needed. That isn't specifically for this post, it is a general comment for all Driverack people reading this post.

I would have loved to had the time to tweak this stuff but it just wasn't possible due to time constraints.

Overall I had a great time and really enjoyed the band. I would go see them again. I probably could have done a much better job if I had a lot more time but I really think the night went well and I'm sure the band will get asked back to the bar.

That's my side......

• Members

Coming from far away, last minute and throwing in is one thing, doing an outstanding job on top of that makes the whole thing awesome.

jwlussow was a great guy, really knew his stuff, and made everyone feel very comfortable. He obviously could tell that some of us are kind of new at this, and was right there with good suggestions, as well as LISTENING to the suggestions they guys had and helping them get what they needed in the monitors.

We have no idea what front of house sounds like ever, due to the in ears. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, said the sound was clean, loud but not too loud, and well balanced for the show.

The band is a 'dad band', we do this for fun, 1 practice a week is all the wives are gonna allow, a boys poker night if you will. We'd love to have a system like jwlussow, but can't quite afford it yet. Here's the system, a crude version of the silent stage system stolen from jw

• Members

But I could certainly feel them. Even in testing I wasn't getting that kind of punch, so I assumed they were a bit wimpy. JW seemed to know how much they could be pushed, and they had a big punch from where I was standing. I think I paid about 229 each for those. They appear to have a built in crossover, at 140Hz. Because i'm running the PX as a Xover, I actually thought about putting in a bypass jack to get those electronis out of the path to the speaker. They're actually very easy to move around.

And they held the speakers up well too.

• Members

After talking to the band over the weekend, and them talking to friends and family about how it sounded, the overwhelming conclusion is it sounded awesome!!

My theory that raw talent can sometimes overcome bottom of the barrel equipment is put to another test. JW brought the talent, we supplied the barrel scrapings.

Thanks again to JW, for the awesome job and for not laughing too hard when you first encountered the rig. You truly made a silk purse from a sows (or a Behringers) ear!

• Members

After talking to the band over the weekend, and them talking to friends and family about how it sounded, the overwhelming conclusion is it sounded awesome!!

My theory that raw talent can sometimes overcome bottom of the barrel equipment is put to another test. JW brought the talent, we supplied the barrel scrapings.

Thanks again to JW, for the awesome job and for not laughing too hard when you first encountered the rig. You truly made a silk purse from a sows (or a Behringers) ear!

Dont knock your system. It really did all the work. You guys should be proud at how professionally you handled the gig. No attitude and you actually had control of the stage volume. My part was the easy part. I really had a great time and I look forward to seeing you guys in the future. Let me know when you will be back there and I can bring a few people with. We are looking for an excuse to go back to the Del Rio restaurant just down the street.....

Archived