A&H MixWiz slant top case

• Members

I just got an Allen and Heath 3162 (16X2) mixer. The manual states that with the connection part placed in rack position it will fit in 10 rack spaces. It looks like it would be a tight fit to me. Can anybody tell me from experience if this mixer will actually fit in a 10U slant top mixer case? Is it better to get a bigger case and leave the mixer in table top position. Advice much appreciated.

thanks,

bob

• Members

I have mine mounted in a Road Ready RRM14UW - which is a 10U slant rack on top of a 14U vertical. It fits fine - however, in order to fit it - it was necessary to rotate the connection pod so that it is "under" the board. It's not a big deal if you're "prewiring" everything in the rack. However, if you had to patch it manually every time - it would be a royal PITA. However, if it's prewired - it's a beautiful thing.

• Members

Is it better to get a bigger case and leave the mixer in table top position

I guess that would depend on how you want to do things, after getting my mixwiz I was going to leave it in the table top postion. But after some input from this forum, there is nothing better IMO than having it prewired and just hooking up the snake.

I'm using a gator 10U over 6U and it is working fine for me, but we only gig a couple of times a month, and I'm the only one who handles it. I have a few outboard pieces in the bottom portion and pre-wired an xlr plate for easy hook-up. :cool:

• Members

That was my experience. More trouble than I really wanted to go through every gig.

Yeah....rewiring it nightly would be a 1st rate PITA. In my case it's totally prewired for a "mix from stage" setup that a single band uses (mine). I've got enough space in the bottom of the rack to store all the cables that connect to it - 2 Hosa Lil' Bro 6 channel snakes (one for frontline - one for backline), a output signal snake that runs to the amp rack, etc. Setup means roll it to where you want it - open the back and pull ouf the snakes.... Plug it into AC power and then turn it on.

In this application - it works great!

• Members

Yeah....rewiring it nightly would be a 1st rate PITA. In my case it's totally prewired for a "mix from stage"

I also mix from stage and agree with you, after a couple of times of wiring every time we played was a PITA, the only thing that I do different is, my snake is separate so I all I need to do is plug in the back to my XLR plate and I'm done,

• Members

Thanks guys. I ordered that audiophiles popup thing with the 6 rack spaces below. I am told you can push the mixer forward and leave the pod on the back, or rotate it to the bottom. Gates and compressors will be prewired with only the snake to connect at each gig. I'll decide when I have it here to look at.

Archived