Must Have for Touring Band ...

• Members

Apologies if another thread speaks to this - I've searched but no luck:

Our band has played a few live venues and, so far, it's been in tandem with at least one other band. We've been fortunate that the 'other' band has always has the live sound equipment - we've simply shown up with our amps & percussion.

So, I realize it'll be a significant investment, but what would be the recommended "must have" items to be able to do our own show with our own equipment? We're talking about venues with about 200 or so people. I'm thinking stuff like:

20-channel mixer (powered or non-powered, recommended brand/make?)

Speaker cabinet pair (powered or non-powered, recommended brand/make?)

Subwoofer pair (powered or non-powered, recommended brand/make?)

Stage snake

EQs

Etc.?

Again, I know I can add as time goes on but wondering what would be an absolute necessity from the get-go.

Thanks!

-Samson

• Members

Also, is 20 channels what you really need or really want? You can get the smaller format mixers with 16 channels for much less than stepping up to 24 or 32. The Allen & Heath MixWiz 16:2 for instance will give you 16 channels, two effects and 4 monitor mixes (6 if you don't use the 2 effects). It's a great bang for the buck.

• Members

Also, is 20 channels what you really need or really want? You can get the smaller format mixers with 16 channels for much less than stepping up to 24 or 32. The Allen & Heath MixWiz 16:2 for instance will give you 16 channels, two effects and 4 monitor mixes (6 if you don't use the 2 effects). It's a great bang for the buck.

:thu: Awesome feedback, thanks! That might do the trick. We're a 3-piece band - guitar, bass, and drums. 3 vocals, guitar, bass, that leaves plenty for drums...

• Members

Then the small format mixer is the best fit for you I would think. As far as cabinets go, any of the JBL, QSC or popular powered units would work great. Keep it as simple as possible if you don't have a full time sound person. Use good microphones on everything, that will make a huge difference.

• Members

Then the small format mixer is the best fit for you I would think. As far as cabinets go, any of the JBL, QSC or popular powered units would work great. Keep it as simple as possible if you don't have a full time sound person. Use good microphones on everything, that will make a huge difference.

+1

I'd look at system package two from audioeast.

http://www.audioeast.com/jblsystems.htm

I'd also add two more subs to make it 4 subs and 2 tops. Use the two Mackie (powered I'm assuming) speakers for monitors and for backups in case the JBL's go down. Get a real crossover as well and rack the mixer and the crossover in a nice/sturdy case.

For cases, snakes and other cabling, check with:

http://audiopile.net/NON_ASP_PAGES/product_page.htm

• Members

Yup - I'm selling a kidney (somebody elses)...

Fair enough. Just seemed like you didn't know what you were getting into from the first post.

With the couple of wedges, no lights, lower channel count mixer this comes down significantly but is still a lot of money - especially if you want new, or quality that you can rely on. Are you sure you are looking at 200 people? That is a pretty big crowd and needs a pretty big PA.

For example, this is the system I use for 30-100 people, mostly bargain basement, very old yet decent equipment, not including lights - and I don't really expect it to handle bigger crowds than 100 in most venues:

2 Subs, Second hand: $400 (really good deal)

2 mains, 12+ horn $300 (again really good deal)

5 wedges, 12+ horn $750 (again really good deal)

Amps, (1 channel subs, 1 channel mains, 4 channels mons) $1400

4 31 band eq's $280

Mixing desk $400

Crossover $100

Speaker stands $100

Speaker Cables, mic cables and patch panels (home made) around $300

Microphones, (including drums, guitar amps, Di for bass) $700

Effects $50

Cases, all home made. $250

Trolleys $150

That adds up to over $5000 and doesn't include wrong turns that I made on the way.

How are you transporting it? Trailer or van would be a minimum - standard station wagon won't do a PA.

• Members

Must have for a touring band? A booking agent that books you into rooms that already have PA systems or a sound guy traveling with you that knows what you need and can properly maintain and run the gear. Don't mean to sound snarky. It's just my experience. With everything else you have to deal with on a tour, you don't want to be dealing with a full PA system by yourselves. If you have to play somewhere that doesn't have a PA, get a local band on the bill that has one or get the promoter to rent locally. Maybe just travel with a small "vocals only" PA for emergencies or doing in-stores.

• Members

You could probably get into a JBL MRX series setup with a Mixwiz all brand new for around six grand.Single 18 subs,and single 12,or 15 tops.Including all the cabling,racks,everything you need.It's really becoming a buyer's market.That is really the only"good" thing about the current economy.

• Members

So here goes. I've been waiting for such a post to recommend at least considering something like the Presonus StudioLive. It's EVERYTHING you need in one box. Add a some powered subs and mains and you're in business.

I've only had mine for 3 weeks and 2 shows, but I absolutely love the thing. Dead simple to use, which is saying a lot for a digital board and has everything but the kitchen sink built into it. You can get it for around $1600 if you know where to look, making it, IMO, a no brainer for someone looking for "all the stuff" you need for your FOH rack. Compressors, gates, eq's, limiters, variable high pass filters on every channel, sub, aux and main. It's 4 buss, has 2 stereo effects engines with tap tempo, can run live VST instruments via firewire (if your PC is up to it) and can record.

So if you already have monitors figure $1000 per powered sub/main so $4000 for speakers and $1600 for the board. Add $400 for a case for it and mic cables to run to the speakers and you have something that will be better than 95% of what a typical 200 person club sees when people bring in a PA.

The downside is this is a very new product without a track record and having everything in one box, while convenient, is scary. BUT, if your analog mixer goes boom, it doesn't matter what rack gear you have, you're still hosed. We carry a little 12 channel Carvin mixer as a back up just in case. It wouldn't be a fun show if we had to use it, but we'd get by.

• Members

Are you sure you are looking at 200 people? That is a pretty big crowd and needs a pretty big PA.

Yea, we played this past Saturday in front of a group of about 175. Granted, not always that big but I'd like to be prepared for such HUGE crowds...:)

Thanks for all the feedback, really. This is awesome stuff.

Archived