Semi-serious band recording

• Members

I'm in a 5-piece hobby jazz-rock-blues band and we record our practice sessions with a Zoom H2 portable digital recorder. We often get pretty good results with this and it meets or exceeds its intended purpose. I have been entertaining the thought of having a (do-it-yourself) recording session to try and get better recordings of some of our best songs.

Our studio has a basic 16 channel mix console. Also, I have a Mac Mini and a M-Audio 410 firewire interface (with 4 inputs) at home with Logic Express. I have zero experience with studio recording (except my solo stuff at home).

Does anyone have any suggestions for setting up a simple recording session using the gear above (plus mics, etc)? Also, since there's 5 of us and only 4 inputs on my interface, which instruments should I run into one input (we have drums, one vocalist, bass, rhythm, and lead guitars? Thanks.

• Members

that's a pretty broad question...and without much (or any) experience your results will be limited by your experience to an extent. my suggestion would be to get some help from an experienced engineer to get things started for you. if you want to stay with your equipment, then some serious submixing will be required. I might suggest recording drums, bass and one guitar then overdubbing the rest, at least save the vocal for later. you at least need decent mics, reasonable acoustics and a way to accurately monitor what you're recording. You could do one track for drums, one bass, one guitar, one guitar and then overdub vocals.

• Members

that's a pretty broad question...and without much (or any) experience your results will be limited by your experience to an extent. my suggestion would be to get some help from an experienced engineer to get things started for you. if you want to stay with your equipment, then some serious submixing will be required. I might suggest recording drums, bass and one guitar then overdubbing the rest, at least save the vocal for later. you at least need decent mics, reasonable acoustics and a way to accurately monitor what you're recording. You could do one track for drums, one bass, one guitar, one guitar and then overdub vocals.

Thanks for the insights. I was apparently hunting for the delete button while you were writing your reply. Since there's no budget for an engineer, I'm it. So I'm looking for some basic tips on how to get started. Between what you have written and a reply I got in the recording forum, at least I have some ideas to work with. Thanks.

Archived