Newbie - Quick Question on PA's...

• Members

If you are doing coffeehouse gigs where you are background entertainment on one side of the room with an acoustic guitar then I suggest a SWR California Blonde and a SM58. Done. Find one used and you are talking $400. This isn't a PA but it would handle that and sound great, it is by far the best sounding acoustic guitar amplification I've ever heard.

If coffeehouses are the intended venue, the Fender Acousticsonic Jr. might be acceptable and would be more generally available on the used market. There are currently two on my local Craigslist that are "like new" and the seller is asking $250 each.

D

• Members

Yes, very funny.

However, I don't believe the original poster is interested in shelling out money for the Meyer boxes I used last week.

Behringer may be what it is, but I've used it when I had to, and its decent for the money. For a small budget-minded setup in a coffee house, it would work nicely.

Also, I don't judge your knowledge or experience based on your post count on this forum.

Hey. We're not trying to make you feel unwelcome here. There is some debate on the quality and reliability of Behringer equipment on this forum. There are some that it works just fine for. The majority of us though, I believe, feel that although it's dirt cheap, it's not a good investment for the long run. They also have shady business practices, poor customer service and have gained a terrible reputation among industry professionals. I personally wouldn't recommend Behringer to my worst enemy's grandmother to read bingo numbers through.

Nobody here has suggested that the OP go out and buy Meyers (since you name dropped them). But there is a lot of territory between one of the most respected speaker manufacturers in the world, and the cheapest knock-off crap Guitar Center has to offer. I'm suggesting that there are other budget brands out there with a better reputation (Peavey, hell even Mackie) and that by buying used, smartly, you can get a much better product for your money.

• Members

Hey. We're not trying to make you feel unwelcome here. There is some debate on the quality and reliability of Behringer equipment on this forum. There are some that it works just fine for. The majority of us though, I believe, feel that although it's dirt cheap, it's not a good investment for the long run. They also have shady business practices, poor customer service and have gained a terrible reputation among industry professionals. I personally wouldn't recommend Behringer to my worst enemy's grandmother to read bingo numbers through.

Nobody here has suggested that the OP go out and buy Meyers (since you name dropped them). But there is a lot of territory between one of the most respected speaker manufacturers in the world, and the cheapest knock-off crap Guitar Center has to offer. I'm suggesting that there are other budget brands out there with a better reputation (Peavey, hell even Mackie) and that by buying used, smartly, you can get a much better product for your money.

:thu: What he said...:thu:

• Members
Well, the budget depends on who you ask in my family.
;)

I don't want to spend a lot. But, I also know that it's important to get good stuff, so you don't have to keep getting replacements.

I think I could spend $1000 over a bit of time on this. Maybe slightly more. I'd much prefer less.

My wife, however, would say my budget is $100.
:cop:

Not to side-track the thread, but: I find the budget and counter budget, in the context of the subject matter, interesting.

If my budget was $1K for a tool to do work with (or $10, or $100K+++), my wife wouldn't initially have a counter budget, peroid. She'd just need to be sold on the business plan, that of-course includes the capitalization budget. If I just pulled a number out of the air without a supporting business plan, she'd simply stand firm on the level headed approach that I need a business plan before the finances can be approved... and without a business plan, then I've got the cart before the horse (another term for "inpluse buying"). If the business plan has merit, then the budget is whatever it needs to be to capitalize the business plan. After submitting my business plan, she typically promotes a discussion of further refinement of the theoretical point of diminished return on the capital investment... which commonly supports a higher budget than I initially proposed (cause she's all about doing things right the first time, otherwise, why waste time attempting to do it at-all?).

• Members

Not to side-track the thread, but: I find the budget and counter budget, in the context of the subject matter, interesting.

If my budget was $1K for a tool to do work with (or $10, or $100K+++), my wife wouldn't initially have a counter budget, peroid. She'd just need to be sold on the business plan, that of-course includes the capitalization budget. If I just pulled a number out of the air without a supporting business plan, she'd simply stand firm on the level headed approach that I need a business plan before the finances can be approved... and without a business plan, then I've got the cart before the horse (another term for "inpluse buying"). If the business plan has merit, then the budget is whatever it needs to be to capitalize the business plan. After submitting my business plan, she typically promotes a discussion of further refinement of the theoretical point of diminished return on the capital investment... which commonly supports a higher budget than I initially proposed (cause she's all about doing things right the first time, otherwise, why waste time attempting to do it at-all?).

We have the same type of discussions at my house. Business plans, ROI ... the works. However, nine times of ten - quid pro quo ends up ruling the day. I know this to be fact because my CP300 came with a 16 place setting of Christmas dishes.

• Members
We have the same type of discussions at my house. Business plans, ROI ... the works. However, nine times of ten - quid pro quo ends up ruling the day. I know this to be fact because my CP300 came with a 16 place setting of Christmas dishes.

I'm dying to hear the business plan concerning the 16 place setting of Christmas dishes.

Some of the parts of the business plan concerning the CP 300 I can visualize... but the other... :confused:

• Members
I'm dying to hear the business plan concerning the 16 place setting of Christmas dishes.

Some of the parts of the business plan concerning the CP 300 I can visualize... but the other...
:confused:

All to do with impressing the investors :)

• Members

Some of the parts of the business plan concerning the CP 300 I can visualize... but the other...
:confused:

Quid Pro Quo doesn't have to be logical. The only way that CP300 was coming home was if it was in the company of a 16 place set of Christmas dishes. Damn, I do love them dishes!

Archived