USB mixer for recording

• Members

If I want to record with a usb mixer, does the mixer's audio interface allow me to record to seperate tracks simultaneously (2 tracks depending on what the interface allows) or do I still need a sound card with multiple inputs?

Otherwise, I'm looking at a mixer with direct outs for each channel and connect to a sound card via multiple inputs.

So if anyone could explain to me how the usb mixer works (i can't seem to find some detailed info on it) that would be great.

Oh, I have sonar 8.5 producer edition on PC.

Thanks for help. Love the forum!

• Members

That would depend on where you get your signal I suppose.

Channel direct outs would be separate, and the main outputs can be right and left if you pan the channels accordingly.

yeah that's what I don't want. I'm ok with the usb or firewire mixers even if it's only 2 tracks, but only if they are SEPERATE tracks. I don't want to have to record 2 inputs to one track panned all the way left and right.

It's sounding like I'd be better off just spending the extra money for a mixer with direct outs and upgrade to a mulichannel sound card. I just really wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone with the usb/firewire mixer.

• Members

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StudioLive16/

This looks like what you're describing.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/n12/

Here's another one for half the price and about half the channels. If you have the money, the presonus one comes with comp/gates for every channel as well as built in delay/reverb effects. This can save you a lot of money if you're going to expand in the future. I think it comes with 4/5 aux sends for monitors or outboard effects.

• Members

This looks like what you're describing.

Here's another one for half the price and about half the channels. If you have the money, the presonus one comes with comp/gates for every channel as well as built in delay/reverb effects. This can save you a lot of money if you're going to expand in the future. I think it comes with 4/5 aux sends for monitors or outboard effects.

nd

Thanks for the links. I haven't seen that site... good stuff there.

Can anyone recommend going one way or the other? I"m beginning to think I should get a quality board with direct outs and go to a pro multichannel sound card. That seems the best as far as getting enough channels out of it instead of messing around with only 2 with usb.

Archived