speaker comparison and suggestions

• Members

A friend asked me for some advice on a pair of speakers. He currently uses a pair of JBL SR-X 4732x speakers. A full band goes through them, Vocals, Keys, Snare, a little kick and guitar.

I found a pair of Mackie SR 1530's on craigslist for 900 the pair.

If he were to buy them and replace the JBLs would it be more of a sidestep or even a downgrade?

or would it be better to just find a pair of subs, instead of getting, say the mackies and adding the subs later on?

forgot to add, in terms of loudness how exactly do they compare....?

• Members

I don't believe the mackies are a step up. But the 4732x is really best when used with a matching sub, 4719x or the single 18 4718x. Properly powered the JBL will outperform the mackie in terms of sound quality and SPL. Also parts are available for the JBL's and good luck with the mackies. And even though the mackies are powered that doesn't mean they haven't been abused bad over their life.

It would also depend on whether he doesn't want to deal with an amp rack (is it set up easily for the job, cables are setup too, crossover properly setup etc?). Options options. Many bandleaders who run sound from stage prefer powered cabs for ease of use, I'm not one of those people.

Archived