Using guitar effects for vocals

• Members

What is the general thought about using guitar effects pedals for vocals?

Then:

I came into a couple of Boss CS3 Monte Allums Opto modified compressor/limiters. On the Allums Mod web sight, they mention that some use them for vocals, which I must admit I never thought of before.

One of our singers is using a Voice Tone Correct, which has a built in compressor, and it is set so she never gets too loud.

Could I use the CS3 Compressor Limiter to keep the other singers from getting too loud at times during the songs?

Thanks,

I am here to learn.

• Members

A sound system provider normally will have a compressor for the main vocal channel. Decent compressors for this intended use can be found used for not much more than $100. Don't buy an Alesis 3630. If you find one sitting on the floor holding a door open somewhere, leave it there.

Like Dennis sarcastically said above, virtually nobody with any other option would do what you are proposing. You might get it to work as an effect, but I doubt it would actually be a net improvement in sound.

• Members

There's nothing a sound person likes better than a singer showing up with a $20 stomp box with hi Z connectors to insert between a vocal mic and the snake head which affects monitors as well as FOH.

Dennis

From what I read between the lines, after reading up a bit on sound systems, there is an impedance matching problem, which might be able to be solved with the right adapters, but it would degrade the sound. I didn't think about the monitors.

Thanks for the info.

• Members

A sound system provider normally will have a compressor for the main vocal channel.... virtually nobody with any other option would do what you are proposing.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was put in charge of an operation that I have neither expertise (I learn as we are going) nor much money to operate. People are all volunteers and some have tidbits of information they share. I know we do need some effects for the singers, but did not have time to research it since we have been improving the stage lighting. I am glad to hear that compressors are that inexpensive. If we bought one, I would have to do my homework to learn to set it up right, then return back here to ask all of you how to do it right.

Our church added a rack mount, two channel compressor to it's sound system and used one channel as a limiter to check the volume before the board signal goes to the amp. The person who set it up is no longer around and with the bumps of the nobs here and there, it seems to be doing more to clip the sound then limiting its volume. But that is another post for a later time.

Thanks for your comments.

Time for new posts on the next subject.

• Members

Like others have said, this method will run into impedance issues. This can theoretically be overcome with something like this: http://www.aiconsol.com/ltlimp-whirlwind.html, but the fidelity-loss makes it impractical, even for the budget conscious. If you are dead-set on using stomp box type effects pedals, you could insert a pre-amp at the beginning of the chain and then run into the effects units. The signal would then need be re-balanced before being sent to FOH. Feedback in the monitors may or may not be an issue, that depends more on how you're already set up, but running effects into them will increase the odds of it, but certainly not guarantee feedback. If you want the best way for running vocal effects on stage, something like this is what you're after: http://www.tc-helicon.com/voicelive2.asp

• Members

That's what I had thought about doing before the comments of the group. But now I see that this is not such a good idea. I should be able sell the spare Boss modified CS-3 for close to a hundred each (if I find the right buyer), so whatever I get for them will be a start to the money needed to buy a rack mount compressor or two.

Thanks for a bit more detail on how things happen and what would go wrong. The more information I get, the better decisions I can make.

Jim

Archived