Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (SH-14,) Vs Dimarzio Norton in the Bridge... Opinions?

JBerto

• Members

Hi folks!

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which one to use.

My guitar is a HH with rosewood body (without trem), and I play Blues and Hard Rock mostly. In the neck I've a DiMarzio PAF 36th.

Anyone have tried both (SH-14 and Norton)?

Any ideas about which one could be better for that kind of guitar and styles?

Thanks!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2/4/2021 at 6:08 PM, JBerto said:

Hi folks!

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which one to use.

My guitar is a HH with rosewood body (without trem), and I play Blues and Hard Rock mostly. In the neck I've a DiMarzio PAF 36th.

Anyone have tried both (SH-14 and Norton)?

Any ideas about which one could be better for that kind of guitar and styles?

Thanks!!!

Hey there!
While I have NOT tried the Norton before, I looked at the specs, and compared them to the Custom 5, which I do have a little experience with. I have a question, though:

You said the body of your guitar is ROSEWOOD? Not mahogany, maybe?  I know there's rosewood bodies around, but that's a little bit unusual ... but both rosewood and mahogany are known for having a decidedly more "warm" character than woods like maple or ash.

OK, regardless, I'm going to say that from looking at the description of the Norton on the DiMarzio site and knowing what I know about the Custom 5, the Custom 5 might be the better option.  My best friend had a Fred in a mahogany body guitar, and it was cool but had this weird midrange thing going, upper midrange and the Norton apparently is reminiscent of the Fred (and Tone Zone). The Custom 5 is supposedly like a Custom Custom ( my favourite Duncan pickup ), but brighter.

I also have a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF, and I was thinking of getting another and trying a Custom Custom in the bridge, as I am not overly fond of particularly bright tones, personally. Assuming that your body is mahogany, possibly, and not rosewood, I think the PAF 36th in the neck and the Custom 5 in the bridge would make a really good match. If you think you'd like something with more "snarl", like more enhanced midrange, I'd go with the Norton.

Archived