Next step up from PRX

• Members

Similar rig here: 522A tops and 325As for monitors. My only comment on the 522A is that it is a little bass shy. Not a problem if you plan on running subs. I understand the 722 is supposed to have more bass.

But they are a great value and my back thanks me every time I raise them up onto speaker stands.

JP

I don't pay much attention to any 12" or 15" cabinet as far as bass response. At loud volumes there's nothing out there that is going to handle "bass". You wouldn't want it to anyway. The same woofer that's furiously flapping back and forth attempting bass is the same one that's also trying to accurately reproduce vocals and higher instruments. Picking a FOH cabinet for it's bass response is foolish, IMO. If you need/want bass, you need subs, period.

That said, yes, the RCF doesn't exhibit the exaggerated bass response of something like the Yorkville NX55P. Then again, at anything above moderate levels all that bass goes away and becomes as bass shy as anything else, not to mention, is constantly in limiting.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hi Winston,

Yes, we are talking about getting the band going again. But mainly I'm starting to get asked to do more events, and I don't like to have to rent. The PRX-class would be a big improvement and just fine for most things, and there is no financial justification for going better.
It's more the gear junkie in me. I just have this dream of a system that wows, not just sounds decent. Buy once cry once. So I'm trying to see if I can get noticeably better sound without breaking the bank.
Although twice the cost, which seems about the minimum, is already a really big jump.

But right now I'm just trying to gather a list of options; then I'll audition and see if I think the cost difference is worth it (and whether or not I can really afford it at the time). And then the "boss" has to approve. Don't worry, you'll always have a better system than me, you have a Danley!

Well, just move to a VRX system and be done with it. It will sound much better than your Eons and it will wow those people who now think you have a line array.:lol:
Personally, I think you'd be smarter to go with PRX or SRX for their value to performance factor and be done with it.

It's pretty tough to WOW many people with any kind of single speaker per side and you're going to wow even less without subs.

You should take your wife out for dinner this Friday to Pat's BBQ and say hi. I'll be mixing my wife's band 7:00-9:00. It fills up by about 6:30, but some space usually opens back up in the room around 8:00.

Winston

• Members

I don't pay much attention to any 12" or 15" cabinet as far as bass response. At loud volumes there's nothing out there that is going to handle "bass". You wouldn't want it to anyway. The same woofer that's furiously flapping back and forth attempting bass is the same one that's also trying to accurately reproduce vocals and higher instruments. Picking a FOH cabinet for it's bass response is foolish, IMO. If you need/want bass, you need subs, period.

My thoughts as well.

• Members
Well, just move to a VRX system and be done with it. It will sound much better than your Eons and it will wow those people who now think you have a line array.
:lol:
Personally, I think you'd be smarter to go with PRX or SRX for their value to performance factor and be done with it.

It's pretty tough to WOW many people with any kind of single speaker per side and you're going to wow even less without subs.

You should take your wife out for dinner this Friday to Pat's BBQ and say hi. I'll be mixing my wife's band 7:00-9:00. It fills up by about 6:30, but some space usually opens back up in the room around 8:00.

Winston

Most people don't know what a line array is so I'm not sure even a VRX would impress them, but they would actually be nice for some of the stuff I do. Everyone's definition of WOW is different; for most of what I do it doesn't have anything to do with volume or bass. Yes, PRX would probably be great, but I want to consider my other options.

I'll see if we can come Friday, sounds fun.

• Members

We've sold many: ZXa5's with VRX918sp to many of people.

I'm not a fan of the KV2 EX2.2; they do get loud, but don't go very low. The EX12 isn't that great as it has ice-picky sound.

What do you think about those subs? Ever compared a passive model?

• Members

Good point - RCF must be shipped to NJ for repair. I did this once (shipped just the amp module) and it was not a smooth process. Took about a month and a lot of complaining. To be fair though, as you get away from the normal "Guitar Center" stock, you're more apt to run into service delays with either shipping your speaker somewhere or the repair shop having to order parts.

I own 6 RCF speakers total and have had 1 failure. It was the high frequency horn in a 522A. They ended up shipping me back a brand new amp module.

My recent experience was great. Talked to people in NH and they got me squared away in a week.

• Members

My recent experience was great. Talked to people in NH and they got me squared away in a week.

That is indeed the key. If you can get to the NH RCF folks you're good. Unless they've changed the process though, they try not to let you at them. After several weeks of getting nowhere with the repair facility I got to the RCF folks in NH and had a brand new amp module in 3 days.

• Members

I purchased FBT HiMaxx 40a's because they are a cut above solid mid-level speakers such as QSC HPRs and JBL PRXs yet below expensive high end speakers such as Nexo, Turbosound, and Danley. I would have loved to A-B the HiMaxx against RCF 522s or RCF 722s, which are also in this "in-between zone" that you seem to be interested in. Thus far I'm satisfied with the HiMaxx--they are light, loud, bright, and allow me to hear parts of the music that I didn't previously hear.

Archived