Is there any way to run a pair of powered Eons through a powered mixer w/o XLR hookup

• Members

Some buddies of mine have put together a small PA for home jamming. The goal is to run a set of electronic drums, vocals (2x), and acoustic guitars through the PA at relatively low volumes. One of them has a pair of powered Eons and the other has a powered, 6 channel Samson mixer (http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1728).

The mixer has no XLR connection. I asked them how they were hooking them up and one of them stated through the mixer pre-amp. I didn't really look at it because I don't think there is any way to hook them up. They were getting some volume, but it was not very loud.

Is there a way to hook the Eons up or should I tell them do not do it as it poses a risk to the equipment.

Thanks.

• Members

Take the main out ON THE FRONT of the unit and use a 1/4" to XLR adapter to plug in the eons. Use the FRONT connection as this is a line level signal. If you use the back connection you risk damaging the mixer, eons or both as this is a passive speaker level connection.

Here is one example of a 1/4" to XLR adapter. You can always use another XLR cable to extend the length.

http://audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/MP_Adaptor_Cbls/MP-106/MP-106_cutsheet.shtml

• Members

Thanks. That may have been what they were doing as I'm not aware of the EONs have a standard 1/4 plug on the back.

Is there a way to do it incorrectly? They were not getting any volume out of it. I plugged into a little 8 inch generic brand guitar amp and it was louder than the electronic drums, vocals, and acoustic through the PA.

• Members

Some EONs do have a combo jack that will accept either an XLR or a 1/4" cable. The manual for the mixer claims that the master out is a +4dB signal, so that should be plenty hot. Obviously the gain needs to be up on the back off the EONs as well. What does the master output meter show when they are trying to get some volume out of it?

• Members

Some EONs do have a combo jack that will accept either an XLR or a 1/4" cable. The manual for the mixer claims that the master out is a +4dB signal, so that should be plenty hot. Obviously the gain needs to be up on the back off the EONs as well. What does the master output meter show when they are trying to get some volume out of it?

I'm not sure, but they couldn't get any decent volume. I didn't know much about it without researching it and didn't want to risk the chance of breaking it. My advice was "I wouldn't do this to my gear without researching it first."

I'll probably see them this weekend. Come to think of it they did get some decent volume out of an iPod plugged into it.

Archived