small mains and monitor advice

• Members

Ready to add another pair of speakers to my small, lightweight, travel rig and to use locally as well as small venue SOS and or monitors.

Thinking I will stick with JBL, I have a set of SRX718s. Three choices are:

SRX712

MRX512

PRX612

I have a 1804 amp that will probably work ok with the 712's as long as I dont need super high SPL's. Should drive the 512's but maybe a bit much. The new 612's are powered, so I could either sell the amp or use it for something else later.

Just kinda wondering your thoughts, what would you purchase and why?

I have a few powered boxes I can use as tops or monitors that sound fine, although Im just about to sell of a set of heavy tops that I cant really use for traveling purposes.

Thanks, Rob

• Members

I'll say this much... I'm a pretty big QSC guy, but just picked up a pair of JBL PRX612m's for monitor duty. I'm thoroughly impressed with the build-quality and the sound-clarity.

They're also really reasonably priced.

Thanks dcastar, like you I have a set of K10's that I bought for monitors. Sometimes Ive used them for mains with only vocals and guitars, pretty small venues.

With the K10's in mind, and the venue needs allowed you to use either the K10 or PRX612m as a main which box would you choose?

Also, pretend for a moment that you dont have a set of TQ's! LOLS

• Members

In a small venue atmosphere, if I didnt have my TQ's and had to choose between the old K's and the new PRX6's... without a doubt, I'd go with the PRX612m's as mains. They sound much more "full-bodied" vs the old K's.

And again, I've yet to hear a pair of the new QSC KW's next to the PRX6-series. But to my ears, the PRX6's are superior to the old K's.

Something tells me the new "fight" will be KW vs PRX6... I've got a demo setup with a few of my DJ friends, in a few weeks, when supposedly the KW's will be available to the masses.

• Members

Not sure I would even consider the MRX line as I see no benefit for almost the same money as the POWERED PRX 600 line.

I'm surprised these (MRX) haven't dropped in price more.

Just doing my own research and hearing what others have said I'd recommend the PRX 600s also as the popular choice.

• Members

Interesting thoughts. Thanks guy's. Keep me posted with your thoughts regarding the KW and PRX demo.

Any reason you wouldnt go non powered like the SRX? I can understand Shiftchange564's thoughts regarding the PRX over the MRX, and thats a very good point I might add.

Archived