How Do I Get a Clean and Clear Sound in a Loud and Crowded Bar?

• Members

I run the NX55Ps into the regular inputs, not the built in mixer. That bypasses the EQ built into the speakers. They are very bassy when you run them like that but we run bass and electric drums through them so we need the low end. I have an LS720p too but when I use it, I don't usually turn on the HFPs in the NX55Ps. They just sound so good full range and I mainly use the sub for the kick drum. Sometimes I will go into the mixer input and cut a little low end. If I was playing larger rooms I would add another sub and run them full out with the HPFs on.

I do think the microphones were picking up the rumble. I cut some low end out of them and it helped a lot. In fact the rig started to feedback the second I turned it on and I had about 10 seconds of panic before I figured out it was low end feedback in the microphones. I also cut a little low end on the mixer's EQ which cut low end on everything. That's where putting the kick and bass on an aux out to the sub would help. It would have let me cut more lows in the mains without killing the bass and drums.

Well, there's obviously a conflict here, between your perspective of what you think "sounds good" (nx55p's run full-range), and your audiences' perspective (muddy mix). I stand behind my original recommendation of 1. using your channel HPF's, 2. using the NX55p's HPF's and built-in LF tone-control, set to -3dB or better, along with your sub set to +3-+6dB. This will allow your NX55p's to have a much higher output, to cut through the crowd-noise. You'll have a much cleaner mix.

Remember, when you're mixing from stage, you're not hearing your system the same way as your audience does. If you trust your wifes' judgement, it's at least worth a try.

• Members

Well, there's obviously a conflict here, between your perspective of what you think "sounds good" (nx55p's run full-range), and your audiences' perspective (muddy mix). I stand behind my original recommendation of 1. using your channel HPF's, 2. using the NX55p's HPF's and built-in LF tone-control, set to -3dB or better, along with your sub set to +3-+6dB. This will allow your NX55p's to have a much higher output, to cut through the crowd-noise. You'll have a much cleaner mix.

Remember, when you're mixing from stage, you're not hearing your system the same way as your audience does. If you trust your wifes' judgement, it's at least worth a try.

I appreciate your feedback, and I understand you're trying to be helpful, but I need to clarify a few points. It wasn't so much that the mix was muddy, it was more that the roar of the crowd was making it difficult to hear the mix. When the place thinned out, it sounded perfect. Also, all of the casual listeners said we sounded great. That was 99% of the audience. Only sound guys, perfectionist knob tweakers like me, and their wives pick up on the kind of sound issues I'm talking about. I could have cranked the system up to get the volume over the crowd, but that's not the kind of band I play in. We play at a reasonable volume, which is why we book gigs instead of playing in the basement. I have been in loud bands before, and I didn't like it.

I have tried using the HPFs on the speakers before. That is certainly the textbook setup, and I think that would work great if we played loudly or if we were a different kind of band. But consider that we are a 3-piece and everything goes through the PA--including bass and drums. I also play acoustic guitar on about half the songs. I have found that we just don't sound as good with the HPFs on and the sub carrying the low end. I'm not sure what it is, but I think there is a frequency gap between where the tops cut off and where the sub picks up. It wouldn't be an issue if those frequencies were getting covered by amps on stage and acoustic drums. If we pushed the NX55Ps, it would be a problem, but we aren't coming close to pushing them. We play plenty loud, but people can stand in front of our mains and not go deaf. The sound I'm going for is more like a recording of a live band that's been mastered and is playing back at a decent volume. I'm not going for a loud rock band kind of sound. So, to make a long story short, yes, I stand by my belief that the NX55Ps sound better fullrange--until you get loud enough that they can't handle the low end. Then you need a sub--or really two subs.

Lastly, I think it is a little easier to use EQ on my mixer than it is to adjust knobs on the speakers. They normally sound great wide open, so I don't want to make any cuts before I hear how they sound. That was a challenge without a soundcheck. I think putting the sub on an AUX out is the way to go. I can EQ some of the boomyness out of the NX55Ps to suit the room and still have a gentle thump coming from the sub.

Please don't take this the wrong way--I just wanted to express my opinion. It sounds like we have almost the same setup with the same speakers. I love the NX55Ps, and I like my LS720P sub too.

• Members

It wasn't so much that the mix was muddy, it was more that the roar of the crowd was making it difficult to hear the mix.

This, says it all. Frankly, I hope your aux-fed subs helps, but I fail to see how it can deal with your stated problem. It's your mids and lo-mids that need elevation in order to cut through.

Anyhow, good luck.

Archived