Source for 1.5" aluminum tubing?

• Members

I posted this in the lighting forum, but there's not usually a lot of traffic in there. I'm sure some of you guys may have a suggestion...

I have a couple of old ADJ light stands that are getting pretty beat up but still usable.

Unfortunately, the upper tubes have been crushed out of round and make it impossible to retract all the way down. Also tough to get the truss on & off.

I don't know any way to get them back into shape, so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a supplier of lightweight 1.5" tubing I can use to replace the worn tubes.

I only use the truss a couple of times a year, so I really don't want to buy new stands.

Just brainstorming...

Thanks!

• Members

You will need to specify wall thickness as just saying "lightweight". You can get by with a lighter wall thickness when using 6061-T6 alum. as it is a more rigid alloy. You can also use 6063-T3 but I would recommend a little heavier wall. If you just need a few feet then McMaster-Carr would be a good place to get it www.mcmaster.com . If you need a lot more there are a lot of places you can buy it. Let your keyboard do the walkin,.

• Members

Interesting thread. I use 1.5" OD tubing that comes with the ADJ stands, they do come out of round over time from the par cans clamped to them. Is there a local source for these (seattle area)? Basically looking for 8x 44" sections.

• Members

Aluminum tubing generally comes in 24' lengths at the wholesale level. It's usually quite a bit cheaper to buy it that way. If your existing tubing is getting squeezed out of round, it's doubtful that it is T6. I have had good luck with a large adjustable wrench (you'll need one that will open at least 1-1/2") for getting tubing back to round. Just keep running it around the tube, and closing it up a little at a time as the tubing gets closer to round.

Archived