JBL EON 210P portable pa system

• Members

I was looking for a small PA for small gigs, and bought a JBL EON 210P.

Our group has 2 acoustic Guitars, 3 or 4 singers, and maybe Violin. Think "Bluegrass", though we play a different style. We can play without PA support, but singing lead, my voice will wear out. Because it involves audience singing, I also want to keep the PA support minimal, to avoid a dividing line between audience & performers. If it's a big room and larger crowd....ok, I'll bring my normal 8-channel PA.

The 210P is a sweet design, and I couldn't ask for anything more portable. The quality seems very good. It's certainly loud enough for what I need.

But I think I'll be returning or selling it, because the voicing doesn't sound right for me.

Your taste or needs may be different, so that's why I'm asking for feedback.

JBL marketing for the 210P says "It's not enough to be heard, you need to be understood". To me, that's what this system is designed for. The upper end is very crisp. A speaking event....great. A Woman Guitar player/singer....you'll hear every sibilant accent. But to me, warmth is missing. Now these are very small cabinets, so I'm not expecting a lot of bottom, but I don't hear the warmth I normally expect from JBL. Maybe a set of the EON 10 G2 powered speakers and a small mixer would be better for what I want. Or maybe just one larger powered EON plus mixer on the floor.

Anyway, a great product, but I guess not my cup of tea. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks to all....Lyle

• Members

Forget the marketing speak of JBL. If it's not enough for even minimal reinforcement as you describe then it's not really worth owning. This is just JBL's entry into the "Passport" market. These are just cheap "eye candy" systems that are designed to look like real PA's but are generally all garbage suitable for calling out bingo numbers and that's about it. OK, maybe that's a bit harsh, but really anything more than coffee shop stuff or small variety acts using it for voice only, is just outside the capability of these systems. The actual sound quality isn't going to be great with these systems. It's all about selling portability and ease of use to a first time PA buyer who generally doesn't have the experience to know good sound reinforcement from bad.

A much more competent, and just as easily set up system, would be a small passive mixer and a single powered speaker (JBL PRX, EV ELXP, RCF ART, QSC K, etc).

Archived