stratocaster deluxe standard plus ???

sinister_steve

• Members

wow nice and clean. mine looks on its way to a road worn strat lol

Oh thanks, but I thought yours looked real clean as well. Mine does have a couple of dimples in it but the paint hasn't flaked on the main surface. Actually though, when I got the guitar, the trem was blocked and semi decked and whoever did it did a terrible job of using a block of wood and electrician's tape which was dampening the great tone of the guitar. When I pulled all that crap out of there a lot of the paint peeled insided of the cavity. And I leave the back plate off so it looks kinda beat up in that way. I did notice that it's a much lighter finish than I have on my other two Strats which also probably lends itself to the great tone I get.

• Members

OK yeah I see what you mean. Doesn't look bad though.

Paint flakes off real easy on my 89 unlike my other two MIMs (from the 90's) that have thicker coats of poly. I wonder is it possible it's not even poly? The other day I'd barely popped the lid to check a connection (recently changed bridge pickup) and a small piece of paint flaked off (underneath the pickguard).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
yea can't see the wear to easily from the front but it has lots of dings and paint missing. inside the pool also has all the paint lifted like yours. hers a pic sideways you can see better of the wear

yea under the pickguard mine also has paint liftingand flaking but the rest of the guitar it didn't flake just wore off or was dinged by banging it or what not. I can't make it chip off anywhere other tan under the pick guard. the paint is really thick looks like 4 different layers of paint. the base acrylic then the Grey sparkle kinda thing to make the paint look deep and then thick laquer on all of that. and thick layers not like the 60s fenders

• Members
just about had to sell mine for rent. from the 9 hrs I had it online for $1000 I had about 10 people want it. glad I was able to sell my car instead lol

Dang that was close, whew!!! Sounds like the cats out of the bag on these then based on your responses.

Just for some background on how I acquired mine, I responded to a guy on Craigs that had three alternative Strats he would trade for vinyl collections with specific qualifications for type and condition. I wasn't playing my vinyl anymore, but had kept my collection pristine so I contacted him with my interest. So he came over with three Strats, one MIM, the Plus and some other special run American he had with special electronics. I wasn't interested in the MIM and out of the two MIAs, liked the 89 Strat Plus the best, though felt he was trying to steer me towards the other one. He claimed the 89 was worth about $900 at that time and not being an expert on Strats thought he was just woofin. After he'd gone through three big boxes of LPs he said it wasn't going to be enough. I really liked the Strat even though I didn't know crap about the Strat Plus and offered him a nice American made Washburn Laredo (Tele) which he snapped at. I always felt like I got raped on that deal but since I wanted a great Strat, and wasn't using the Tele or playing the records it was a deal I could live with. So now you come along and I realize the guitar really does have some serious $ value and apparently still appreciating. So thx SS for the thread.

• Members

Dang that was close, whew!!! Sounds like the cats out of the bag on these then based on your responses.

Just for some background on how I acquired mine, I responded to a guy on Craigs that had three alternative Strats he would trade for vinyl collections with specific qualifications for type and condition. I wasn't playing my vinyl anymore, but had kept my collection pristine so I contacted him with my interest. So he came over with three Strats, one MIM, the Plus and some other special run American he had with special electronics. I wasn't interested in the MIM and out of the two MIAs, liked the 89 Strat Plus the best, though felt he was trying to steer me towards the other one. He claimed the 89 was worth about $900 at that time and not being an expert on Strats thought he was just woofin. After he'd gone through three big boxes of LPs he said it wasn't going to be enough. I really liked the Strat even though I didn't know crap about the Strat Plus and offered him a nice American made Washburn Laredo (Tele) which he snapped at. I always felt like I got raped on that deal but since I wanted a great Strat, and wasn't using the Tele or playing the records it was a deal I could live with. So now you come along and I realize the guitar really does have some serious $ value and apparently still appreciating. So thx SS for the thread.

yes they really do have value. doesn't sound lke you lost at all.

Archived