How to recreate your practice room tone live?

• Members

First of all, what your 'alone' practice tone sounds like vs what practice tone with the band sounds like vs live tone are all different animals. Your amp settings and whatever else you adjust are not interchangable in these different situations.

My first guess is you're using too much gain. More gain sounds much cooler at practice than it does with a band or in a live situation. My advice would be to turn up your mids and turn down the gain.

If I try to play my live rig at practice with those settings it sounds like ass in the basement, and vice versa.

• Members

My rehearsal rig consists of an RD700SX into a single Yamaha DSR112 powered speaker. It means that 2 of my 3 three sound engines (my CP300 and Motif ES rack are sitting home along with my 2nd DSR112). I spend a good portion of every rehearsal trying to figure out how I'm going to cover the parts I usually play with 1/3rd of my usual sound palatte - and only half of the keyboard real estate. When compared to my full gig rig - my "sound" at rehearsal sucks.

Yup

My gig rig:

86f0c380.jpg

e644536e.jpg

My practice rig:

4137835c.jpg

• Members

i use a single 12", 15 watt, amp. (tweed deluxe)

i'm 6'5""

i place it flat on a 5' rack, or speaker stack,
or tilted, from an amp stand

it "always" sounds the same

I'm a big believer in having direct sound from an amp going straight in the users ear(s)

Archived