Bass equalization

• Members

oh herro.

so its subs, don't ask about the name change...

anyway, asked you guys about bass compression the other day and got some good stuff.

sean, your settings were money.

okay, so without the bassists amp in the studio, he says he is having a hard time hearing himself. To me it sounds great because he is booming in the mix and sitting pretty. but i guess it just doesn't have that tight bass freq. that he is used to.

so i've got band practice tonight and i was thinking about adding the dbx 1231 to the chain for his bass.

i know i just have to trust my ears but anyone got advice on what to boost/cut to give him that tone he feels like he's missing by not having his amp?

thanks

• Members

As a bass player with very damaged hearing, I can attest to the fact that while the highs are the first to go, those freqs are required to keep the clarity of the bass. I had terrible difficulties with zeroing on perfect pitches and had to dump my fretless because of that. I now rely on decent IEMs and the tuner built into my setup. Losing your hearing really sucks in soooo many ways. This is especially true when it happens at your own hands.

• Members

Another possible explanation of your hearing the bass clearly but his not hearing himself is that he is sitting in a null for some of the bass frequencies he likes to play, and you are not. Try moving him to a different spot in the rehearsal space. First give him an extension cord and try switching seats with him, since you can hear his bass well in your location.

• Members

any chance of finding out what these money compression settings are? wouldlove a starting point.

But I'm gonna go a little more agressive than the consensus here, because I think it may suit the sound. At least worth a try:

4:1 ratio. Over easy on (soft knee). Moderate attack, slow release. Threshhold maybe as low as -10, aiming for LED peaks hitting 8-10 db gain reduction.

That is what I used and it sounds great. We are a pretty straight forward alternative rock band and need little in the way of bass dynamics.

• Members

Another possible explanation of your hearing the bass clearly but his not hearing himself is that he is sitting in a null for some of the bass frequencies he likes to play, and you are not. Try moving him to a different spot in the rehearsal space. First give him an extension cord and try switching seats with him, since you can hear his bass well in your location.

Good call. :thu:

• Members

any chance of finding out what these money compression settings are? wouldlove a starting point.

Agree with tiffany for the most part. Don't set the attack too fast as the comp can actualy track the waveform on extremly low notes (it just distorts it all ti h**l). I usualy use more like a 6:1 ~ 10:1 ratio but set the threshold so that only the pops & peaks trigger compression. OTOH this setting is a lot more for Jazz, or funk kind of stuff.

For R&R, sometimes the bass is already pre-compressed. Not by a compressor but the the guy overdriving a tube amp (Ampeg VST's come to mind). This is part of that "fat" Ampeg sound. In that case (if compression is needed) tiffany's setting would be about right.

In other words "it depends" :-)

That's my .02

Archived