Mixing from on-stage

• Members

If I'm mixing side-stage and not playing, I'll park a foldback wedge on top of the subs so I can at least hear the changes I'm making. Saves a few trips into the audience. I usually turn it off unless I'm checking my mix.

If I'm mixing on stage while I'm playing, I'll run the FOH mix to my wedge and mix accordingly. We'll play two songs or so, I'll adjust my mix according to the FOH monitor, I'll walk out front and see how it sounds... if it's ok then I'll switch my wedge back to my normal monitor mix and forget about the PA entirely. You shouldn't really have to be making a lot of changes once the show gets going.

EDIT: as far as placing the PA behind you, that can work but in my experience you have to toe-in your speakers to try and catch the band... otherwise they'll just be blowing right past you. I could never find a happy medium; either the audience couldn't hear us or we couldn't hear ourselves. Also, either way there was a big issue with comb filtering and it always ended up getting incredibly loud on stage. It's always worked better for me to have a dedicated monitor. YMMV.

• Members

You shouldn't really have to be making a lot of changes once the show gets going.YMMV.

Thanks Mogwix. Unfortunately I need to make regular changes as we have four people sharing lead vocals. Two have very strong voices and have to be turned down when they revert to singing backup. They are not great at simply moving back off the mic.

I am going to try running my monitor off the phones send from the desk - so I can simply used the solo button to either hear everything or just my vocals and guitar. Fortunately my band only gigs monthly so I have plenty of rehearsal time for trying different things. When I am just doing the sound I mix from out front with an iPad - and this works great (and this would be the best solution for my band but money's tight).

Cheers

• Members

Thanks Mogwix. Unfortunately I need to make regular changes as we have four people sharing lead vocals. Two have very strong voices and have to be turned down when they revert to singing backup. They are not great at simply moving back off the mic.

An idea I've had for a couple of decades: What's needed (I believe) is a insertable foot pedal switcher... maybe 4 button... stomp the appropriate button results in -6dB on that channel, stomp it again and it's back to being unattinuated.

• Members

An idea I've had for a couple of decades: What's needed (I believe) is a insertable foot pedal switcher... maybe 4 button... stomp the appropriate button results in -6dB on that channel, stomp it again and it's back to being unattinuated.

I do that to switch scenes on an SC48 :idea:

• Members

I just had a sort-of thought...not sure how effective it would be. Would it hurt to use something like an RTA mic placed away from where the crowd can get to it, but can still capture how everything sounds, and monitor it via in-ears? I just had that thought, not sure how effective it would be, but I guess you can crank the volume up so it matches how it would sound IRL.

• Members

This works great, but my guitar player didn't want to use it so on the shelf it sits. It's a passive signal attenuator - Electro-Harmonix "Signal Pad". Just put it last in the chain and you have a solo booster.

Archived