Till the Music is Through - ALT LYRIC IDEA, page 3

Oswlek

• Members

Sorry, Marshall, I do tend to veer in a lot of directions. The lyric as it stands now is:

V1

I've given you all the signs

But I'm still in the dark

I think about all those times

I felt the spark

PC

And I don't think it was just me

Let's try this thing, see what we see

C

Can I come over

Spin a record or two

We'll dance together

Till the music is through

V2

We can take it nice and slow

Cheek to cheek

Or turn on some disco {BV: "maybe calypso"}

And move, move, move our feet

PC2

Either way let's keep it on repeat

The greatest hits of you and me

C

Can I come over

Spin a record or two

We'll dance together.......

Can I come over

Spend an evening with you

We can hold each other

Till the music is through

Yeah, the music's through

And maybe even after, too.....

I like your "ipod" idea, I'll see if I can squeeze it in somewhere. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I much prefer calypso to disco as a music style. :D . . . , but who is your target ? I would expect the term "disco" to have aesthetic baggage. Calypso is less well known, but also doesn't have as immediate a stylistic reaction from most listeners.

And I wouldn't just stick in an ipod. My comment was it should replace the record spin thing. Which probably is not a good thing to do at this stage in this lovely song. The spin the record is a wonderful image for us older folks. But youngsters might not have a clue what spinning a record means.

• Members

Marshall, I don't have a target audience, either for "disco" or for "record." I've given up on writing for marketability and just write whatever strikes me as the strongest image. Since I'm a middle age man who hangs out mostly with other middle age songwriters, that tends to be the slant. :)

FWIW, I knew exactly what you meant about the ipod/record thing. If I find a more current image to replace record that gets the job done, I'd gladly make a swap. The problem is that it needs to rhyme with "through" and imply a good amount of time. "Spin a record" means listening to the entire album whereas sharing an ipod could just be a single song. So what else is there? Playlist? Put it on shuffle?

Archived