Using Rewire/MIDI-YOKE to fix a notation package to a DAW!

• Members

Dear Anyone.

Got told to move this to here by someone who I THINK is a Mod/Senior User/Something Similar - I'm not trying to 'spam' or anything.

If what I wanna do isn't possible, just tell me why and I'll shurrup - I'm a brand new hatched noob at this.

I'm disabled, have to use a notation program and put in all the notes with a mouse. I use Quick Score Elite Level 2, prob. the best notation program out there today - apart from a few small problemos it has. One of them is you can only put effects on the FRONT END of VSTs, so it's one VST, one instrument even if the VST is theoretically multitimbral. The second one is you only get holes for 8 vsts so you're limited to 8 tracks. (In theory you get more but as you can't effrect individual sounds from one instance of a VST, after 8 youi're royally stuffed.)

As you DO GET loadsa staves, I wanted to hook it up to something that can hold loadsa VSTs and I've got Ableton Live (AND Cubase, but that's an everliving nightmare and Ableton looks friendlier!) So I got MIDI-Yoke. Each of MIDI-Yoke's 8 virtual cables can hold 16 instruments (1.1......1.16, then 2.1....2.16 etc) But I can't make Ableton Live see the sub-cables, as far as I can see it's just seeing cables 1-8 and not the decimal point bits. So I'm still limited to 8 tracks and am no better off! That's part 1 of this prob.

Part 2, directly associated, is Proteus VX. If you got 2 instances of that going and they find out about eachother, your computer will become a doorstop until you restart it. Sometimes you get away with 2 (or more) instances but it's a disaster waiting to happen, usually 10 seconds before you bounce down the final version of your track. What I wanna be able to do, in a nutshell, is this:-

First. Find out if there's any way to make Ableton Live recognise the decimal point parts of the cable settings so I can have up to 16 instruments per cable going at once (instruments = tracks, really. I just want - for arguments sake - to have 4 tracks of strings so I can EQ each track differently (and add other effrects to each track individually)) Secondly. Proteus VX has many bus lines, you can set as many as you want within limits. How do I use them to route the output from each instrument I've chosen from a single instance of Proteus VX to its own channel so again I can add different effects to each instrument from the same, single instance of Proteus VX?

I promise you the prob's NOT QSE even though everyone laughs at it cos it looks simple - QSE's finding the sub-tracks like a dream. Sonar used to find them but Sonar's a processor pig so I can't use it - it munches computers! Ableton I don't know if it's seeing them or not, it doesn't seem to be. And I don't think Ableton can use Rewire, if I'm wrong, tell me.

If I couild get this routing thing sorted, I could do far better music cos I wouldn't have to be cheating with effects just to make something sound half-assed good all the time.

If it's not possible to do this with Ableton but there's another DAW out there that'll do this and let me have extra tracks to put VSTs on then fine - not Sonar, though, Sonar munches computers too easily. It's maxed out my souped-up max-memoried motherboard with only using 3 VSTs so it had to go - sad because it's the only one I've ever understood! But if anyone can get me started with CUBASE or any other PC DAW doing this, PLEASE SAY!!

Yours hopefully - if someone here can solve this with me it'll beat every other forum out there -

Chris.

Archived