CAKEWALK SONAR 6 PE (Windows DAW) - NOW WITH CONCLUSIONS!

Anderton

• Members

I think it's the case that ASIO should make perfect synchronization possible... isn't it? I'm not even talking about MIDI or virtual instruments; just recording one audio track after another.

OK I read your Sonar Forum post too. Although I can't help specifically with the Firestudio, I agree with the comment above.

Have you tried WDM at all, that should also be capable of sample accurate alignment? I use a MOTU 828 with the WDM drivers as I also use other soundcards (so ASIO is not possible). With this set up running on an ancient (in PC terms) P4 2.4G (Np HT!) I have no problems. It seems that there are problems, as you say, with the Firestudio ASIO drivers.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have you tried WDM at all, that should also be capable of sample accurate alignment? I use a MOTU 828 with the WDM drivers as I also use other soundcards (so ASIO is not possible). With this set up running on an ancient (in PC terms) P4 2.4G (Np HT!) I have no problems. It seems that there are problems, as you say, with the Firestudio ASIO drivers.

Yeah, with WDM it just crashed. I really wish someone from Presonus would respond to my question on their forum. It seems like they're usually pretty good about that; maybe their main support guy is on vacation or something.

• Members

Did you re-profile the card when you selected WDM? This isn't needed with ASIO but can really screw up with WDM. "Just crashed" seems a pretty extreme problem. I'm wondering if there isn't something else (PC setup?) going wrong here.

When specific problems like this turn up it is usually something to do with driver installation/software installation. After all if the WDM drivers crashed for everyone and the ASIO was generally so variable then there would be a blood bath going on in the forum's.

I know this is a pretty generic response. Sorry I can't be more specific. I guess you really need presonus to call you back.....

Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

For a while I've tossed up between Cubase 4 or Studio or Sonar 6 PE, obviously AudioSnap is a step in the right direction but needs to go a little bit further.

I hope in the next release of Sonar PE they will introduce an improved more easier tool that is part of AudioSnap. Have a Tempo-Track with user defined metronome sounds (hit hat, snare, whatever) the Tempo Track is basically a ghost track that becomes the main time base with an advanced Groove Quantization Map using presets or custom user presets called "Groove Quantization Maps" that will work "even more" seamlessly with both Audio and Midi. The idea is that all tracks regardless if they are midi or audio, and regardless if you or slice and arrange small clip sections or have gradual slow-down or speed-up tempo changes of the main Tempo Track, make the Groove Quantization as such so that both Audio and Midi on all tracks "automatically" locks into perfect timing without having to do any manual editing.

Not sure if I explained myself well!

For example: I noticed with Cubase Sequel it locks everything into perfect timing automatically regardless if it's midi or audio, to start a project simply drag and drop a drum pattern or other midi rhythm source and Sequel automatically sets the tempo for all other tracks for that project (Both midi and audio), of course the tempo can later be slowed down or speed up), although I don't think there are editable adjustments such as the power of AudioSnap found in Sonar 6.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived