LYNX AURORA 8 (A/D AND D/A CONVERTER) - NOW WITH CONCLUSIONS!

Anderton

• Members

Just found this review and have a question for the people at Lynx, it concerns the clock provided by the Aurora from its Word Clock output when it's set to internal sync.

Since the Aurora is able to output through the Word Clock connector all the standard sample rates, could you guys tell me how is this realized? Do you use an independent oscillator for each sample rate (one for 44.1, one for 48, one for 88.2 etc) which is activated when you select the corresponding value or do you use one oscillator which provides the base sample rates in conjunction with 2x and 4x clock multipliers for the 2x and 4x sample rates?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Craig - The main reason we use a linear power supply in Aurora is to reduce the possibility of introducing additional noise typical of a switching power supply. Switching power supplies can generate lots of high frequency noise that can creep into sensitve analog circuitry and get through anti-aliasing filters in A/D converters. There are techniques for minimizing this, but we decided to play it safe with the big honkin' toroidal transformer. The downside is that a linear supply cannot be made "universal" and generates more heat.

Bob Bauman

Lynx Co-founder, Chief Hardware Engineer

Hi there , I am a new member here and I signed up basically because I have to sort out very soon an Aarora 16 power supply issue.
I am about to buy an Aurora 16 in the States but I will mainly use it in Europe.
For that reason I need a voltage converter ( switching power supply) to run my 110 v Aurora in a 220v electric field.
By reading the post of Bob Bauman up here I found out that this may cause issues with Aurora's anti aliasing filter.
Do anyone know how much (at which frequencies) and how dramatically a switching power supply (the kind of 110v to 220v) may affect the conversion of a gear such the Aurora Lynx and if is there any way to minimize it like, for instance, buying a specific type of power supply that can reduce "noise pollution"?

Thanx

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Hi there , I am a new member here and I signed up basically because I have to sort out very soon an Aarora 16 power supply issue.

I am about to buy an Aurora 16 in the States but I will mainly use it in Europe.

For that reason I need a voltage converter ( switching power supply) to run my 110 v Aurora in a 220v electric field.

By reading the post of Bob Bauman up here I found out that this may cause issues with Aurora's anti aliasing filter.

Do anyone know how much (at which frequencies) and how dramatically a switching power supply (the kind of 110v to 220v) may affect the conversion of a gear such the Aurora Lynx and if is there any way to minimize it like, for instance, buying a specific type of power supply that can reduce "noise pollution"?

Thanx

Hi Evilio

I'm a new member too ... in fact this is my first message 'cause looking around I'm in the same situation as you .. I bought an Aurora 16 with LT-FW in States and now I want to use it in Europe so ... I'm having the same doubt as you ... have you found any information about it ??

Thanks

• Members

Thanx

Hi Evilio

I'm a new member too ... in fact this is my first message 'cause looking around I'm in the same situation as you .. I bought an Aurora 16 with LT-FW in States and now I want to use it in Europe so ... I'm having the same doubt as you ... have you found any information about it ??

Thanks

Archived