TC-Helicon VoiceLive 2 Vocal Harmony and Effects Processor

Jon Chappell

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dear Jon, I really liked what you did on Danny Boy. I noticed some issues at the end and was just wondering. I can tell a real difference in the smoothness of the processor when playing along with a guitar. So heres an idea I don't know if it will work. Send the out put of your sound card with just the piano or rhythm into the guitar input of the TC. Turn the guitar down in the output of the TC with just your vocals going back into your computer. Or what ever your using. If your already doing this sorry for wasting your time. Im learning how to use this processor as i go. All trade secrets are welcome I love to learn. Glen h

• Members

Hi everyone!

Im new here, and im from Brazil

I just got a VL2 and im having some problems

im usin my acustic guitar to set the key, just like all videos in youtube show, and almost presets i just cant get on tune.

id like to know if i have to utrn on the pitch key every time i utr on the VL2.

is this the right way to use it?

i just got it and i know i can even sing without the guitar on it, but its not working.

i have download the last firmaware ad updated it, but i havent still played with the pitch key on..

is this my mystake?

can you help me guys?

thanks!!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluk

View Post

Helicon has added a looper now to the VoiceLive 2. Also they have made improvments and fixes. Check it out.

I have updated mine and the looping is way to cool!!

http://www.tc-helicon.com/

Enjoy!!

I have a JamMan Looper and I would like to het a Harmonizer pedal sometime early in the year. I have been looking at the Harmony GXT pedal for price and supposed ease of live playing. I know how much better the VL2 is but it is significantly out of my price range. However, if the looper function of the VL2 can replace my JamMan that would help a lot with some of the money as well as setup.

Has anyone compared the Looper function with a dedicated "2 button" looper?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 335BoB

View Post

I have a JamMan Looper and I would like to het a Harmonizer pedal sometime early in the year. I have been looking at the Harmony GXT pedal for price and supposed ease of live playing. I know how much better the VL2 is but it is significantly out of my price range. However, if the looper function of the VL2 can replace my JamMan that would help a lot with some of the money as well as setup.

Has anyone compared the Looper function with a dedicated "2 button" looper?

I've found the looper fun to play around with, but more of a novelty than a serious looper. You can use it for performances as long as A) your loops are short (less than 15 seconds in stereo or 30 mono) and 2) You don't need to save anything. I've also had mixed results with getting the timing just right. I also own a Boss RC-50 looper and it is much easier to nail timing than the "stomp box" style buttons on the VL2.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd

View Post

I've found the looper fun to play around with, but more of a novelty than a serious looper. You can use it for performances as long as A) your loops are short (less than 15 seconds in stereo or 30 mono) and 2) You don't need to save anything. I've also had mixed results with getting the timing just right. I also own a Boss RC-50 looper and it is much easier to nail timing than the "stomp box" style buttons on the VL2.

Interesting to hear your comment on the "stonp box" style buttons. When I got my JamMan they were being discontinued because the new stereo unit was coming out. I was concerned about those hard switches compared to the smooth silent switching of the jamMan.

Anyway. I apprecaite your comments on the looper capabilities of the VL2. I haven't tried to save any loops yet but I'm having a lot of fun playing live with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Hello All,

Brand new to the forum and brand new to the Voicelive2. Just picked mine up. I'm less of a gig guy and more of a home studio guy. I really want to be able to use this with my DAW software, which currently is Samplitude. I am getting frustrated with trying to set it up the way I want, and now am starting to doubt if I even can. Reaching out to the wealth of knowledge out there for some help, but please remember, I'm brand new so go easy on me...

What I have is:

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (USB) set up and working perfectly.

VL2 (USB connection made)

Computer

What I want to do is

1) be able to play a music soundtrack from my DAW into headphones but also to feed the vocal harmonizer, sing and record along with it using whatever effects I choose, but NOT have it mix the voice and music back together on the record track. I just want the voice to record. For the life of me, I can't figure it out.

2) take previously recorded voice from my DAW software and run it through VL2 for effects, and re-record it back on another track.

If I can manage those two things, I'm a happy guy.

Here's what I've done so far:

Update the firmware on the VL2 to the latest.

Install the ASIO4ALL driver, so my DAW software can see the VL2

Hoping someone can help.

• Members

Hi Papa, there is a learning curve to using the Voicelive 2 with recording. I had a long post about it, but due to the various incarnations of this forum, it's been lost. Here's the thing, first, record the vocal, forget the Voicelive while recorinding. After you've recorded a lead vocal that is great, without pitch problems, etc, then, take that vocal and run it through the Voicelive. Read the manual carefully, since they explain there the different modes that you can use to just have harmonies minus the vocal. Also, for harmonies make sure that the melodic line you're singing is pretty straight, minus vocal articulations. Those don't translate well into the Voicelive 2.

If you really want to try to do this while recording the vocal, you don't need the USB, you just need a good mixing board. Assign an auxiliary to the Voicelive 2, and monitor the sound from the voicelive with the rest of the mix, but the only thing that's going to recording is your vocal. If you don't have a mixing board, your options diminish greatly... smile.gif

So, hopefully this will give you some food for thought, and this thread is full of great information, I would also suggest going through it meticulously...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGz

View Post

Hello All,

Brand new to the forum and brand new to the Voicelive2. Just picked mine up. I'm less of a gig guy and more of a home studio guy. I really want to be able to use this with my DAW software, which currently is Samplitude. I am getting frustrated with trying to set it up the way I want, and now am starting to doubt if I even can. Reaching out to the wealth of knowledge out there for some help, but please remember, I'm brand new so go easy on me...

What I have is:

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (USB) set up and working perfectly.

VL2 (USB connection made)

Computer

What I want to do is

1) be able to play a music soundtrack from my DAW into headphones but also to feed the vocal harmonizer, sing and record along with it using whatever effects I choose, but NOT have it mix the voice and music back together on the record track. I just want the voice to record. For the life of me, I can't figure it out.

2) take previously recorded voice from my DAW software and run it through VL2 for effects, and re-record it back on another track.

If I can manage those two things, I'm a happy guy.

Here's what I've done so far:

Update the firmware on the VL2 to the latest.

Install the ASIO4ALL driver, so my DAW software can see the VL2

Hoping someone can help.

Hi guys , i'm hoping someone will give a comprehensive answer to this question , i have the same problem , i want to add vocals to a song that i'm collabing on using the VL2 , then recording onto a spare track on a BR-800 Digital Recorder , i dont want the song going through the VL2 effects , and i dont want the song and vocal recorded together , this is a great forum , wish i'd found it earlier , it certainly made my mind up about buying the VL2 , its amazing

• Members

Looks (and sounds) like a sweet unit. I presently use a Vocalist Live 4, and find such EFX useful. But, like the Live 4, this one uses a 12V external supply. This is a pain. If the designers of these devices would stick to 9V DC, like the majority of EFX pedals, it would make powering multiple effects much easier live. I'm now using a rechargeable supply to eliminate wall warts, AC cables, and noise to my pedalboard. I'm assuming this device also has Phantom power on-board? This is more easily done with a 12V AC supply, and possibly why they chose this input, but it can also be provided by stepping up 9V with a little more circuitry. Pedal-makers, PLEASE, stick to 9V DC!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

1) Can VL2 be used directly via keyboard without any human voice input at all. Sometimes I might want to just access VOX patches via the VL2. The Roland VP-7 demos this setup but have never seen it or heard it mentioned in the VL2 demos or description.

2) Is there any telephone support at TCH? I've never seen anything at the support page other than FAQs and email support.

3) How would I get a copy of the CD software disc required for updating if it's missing?

4) How easy is this to use? The Roland looks real easy (but of course limited), but the VL2 looks quite complex and a big learning curve. User friendly?

Thanks much. Just joined this forum and hope to hear from some users.

Hal

• Members

I just purchased a Morley Optical Volume pedal to turn the harmonies on and off. It works really well. Its too hard to try and press one of those small foot-switches while playing live. I own a Audix OM5 so that's half the battle of tweaking this box for very loud stage volume.

• Members

Just got one of these VL2 and very excited to see how it works

Any starting pointers for a VL2 newbie?

I'll be using this 90% of the time for harmonies & hard tuning

basically the usual 3rd for the chorus parts etc...

I will use it to compliment my lead vocals without any guitar as guidance...

cheers,

Charles

• Members

With the software upgrade for the VL2 that includes new looping functions, are these looping functions the same flexibility as VoiceLive Touch or is this a "Light" version with just a few looping options? I believe this is the update that has been suspended because of some bugs but I'm not positive.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by steve350

View Post

I own a Audix OM5 so that's half the battle of tweaking this box for very loud stage volume.

Very interested to hear how this goes. After hearing all the background noise in recorded versions of my live vocal tracks, I'm wondering if this baby will work at all on loud stages. (I have an OM7.)

• Members

I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject. Some folks are having luck with the Crown CM-311A

head-worn microphone and in ear monitors. It seems to be the only good way to eliminate that warble sound with loud stage volumes.

I am not very happy with my expression pedal on this VL2. There is no way to know if your harmonies are on or off unless you talk into the mic. On the older VL1 when you engaged the expression pedal it would tell you on the display, "bypass mode or Harmony on". I know how to fix it on the VL2 but its going to take some re-wiring. I will be able to press on my expression pedal and the red indicator light will turn red for harmony and off for bypass. I am not sure why the software doesn't recognize the expression pedal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought I'd share this from a wedding reception we did on the 48th floor of the Chase Tower yesterday in Indianapolis. It shows off some of the funky stuff the VoiceLive2 can do. The song is a cover of Dynamite

- AutoTune throughout

- "On & on & on" lyrics have thick delay

- Stutter effect on the end of the choruses

- Bridge has a fairly thick reverb that's a bit hard to hear on the video

Note: Change the bit rate to at least 480P for better sound

• Members

Question: They have the tech, why have they not updated those horrible rack units? They are {censored}, and I'd rather just have one rack space for this effect instead of buying the VL2, then a tray, and using 3-4 rack spaces.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd

View Post

I thought I'd share this from a wedding reception we did on the 48th floor of the Chase Tower yesterday in Indianapolis. It shows off some of the funky stuff the VoiceLive2 can do. The song is a cover of Dynamite

- AutoTune throughout

- "On & on & on" lyrics have thick delay

- Stutter effect on the end of the choruses

- Bridge has a fairly thick reverb that's a bit hard to hear on the video

Note: Change the bit rate to at least 480P for better sound

Pretty cool we cover this song too... Abzurd

Did you made those presets or pretty much they are the standard ones?

Would love some pointers for a newbie VL2 user like me...

cheers,

Charles

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

"Extruded aluminum blue and artist inspired graphics." That is dumb. How about taking the time to come out with a new rack unit instead of putting little swirls on the pedal and calling it "artist inspired graphics."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 Extreme Edition

Expanded memory, enhanced preamps and extra presets!

They are saying that these will be a "limited run" of the Extreme Edition.

I have been a loyal TC customer for years. These boxes do sound superior to the others.

However, I have a couple of suggestions for TC Helicon, please put the Harmony foot switch on the far left of your product. I play keyboards and guitar and use the VoiceLive 2. In every Voice Live product I've owned, I have to use an External Foot Switch. Its too HARD to look down to make sure you are hitting the correct little foot switch to turn the Harmony on and off.

One other suggestion, have a factory preset for a band that has loud stage volume. At least its a start for many of us who are not in a one man band. Show a demo of the next Voice Live in a 4-5 peice band.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by steve350

View Post

TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 Extreme Edition

Expanded memory, enhanced preamps and extra presets!

They are saying that these will be a "limited run" of the Extreme Edition.

I have been a loyal TC customer for years. These boxes do sound superior to the others.

However, I have a couple of suggestions for TC Helicon, please put the Harmony foot switch on the far left of your product. I play keyboards and guitar and use the VoiceLive 2. In every Voice Live product I've owned, I have to use an External Foot Switch. Its too HARD to look down to make sure you are hitting the correct little foot switch to turn the Harmony on and off.

One other suggestion, have a factory preset for a band that has loud stage volume. At least its a start for many of us who are not in a one man band. Show a demo of the next Voice Live in a 4-5 peice band.

I agree about the footswitch and wrote it here somewhere in the thread. I've also emailed TC-Helicon about it. All they really need to do is put in the firmware an option to swap the button functionality. IMO, it was a pretty big gaff to put the most often used button dead center. I use an external sustain pedal, which actually has other advantages too in that I can tuck the harmonizer up against the monitor so the only thing out in space is the sustain pedal. It's much more discrete this way. It's also a larger surface to step on and can be kicked to other parts of the stage if needed. Like I may sit on a stool next to the guitar player for a song and will just relocated "kick" the sustain pedal over towards the guitar player and can do harmonies from there.

• Members

I'm trying to use my VL2 to record and mix on my tascam 2488. I'm using the spdif as the output from the VL2......I either get a message from the tascam that it detects no digital signal or I get a message "Invalid Fs rate detected." Is there any way to lock the sample rate at 44.1? I'm completely baffled.

Jukebox Leako

Archived