Charvel dc-1 v. MIM Strat v. Epiphone Les Paul Studio for beginner son

JBbitchin

• Members

I'm looking at these for my son who is a beginner and 13 years old.  If I had my way, I would probably stick with the Les Paul and maybe even the MIM Start which is pretty, and nicely set up (all of them are), but it is for a kid starting and he likes the humbucking sound and crunchy rock distortion and I want him to play so I need to get something he will really enjoy.  The Les Paul is heavy as they come.

The Charvel has active elctronics, which I'm not sold on and I'm told the battery (9v) "will last 'like a year'," as long as you unplug the guitar afterward.  I can get any one of these for $300-325 from a used store nearby and they are all quite nice with not a scratch-all look new regardless of used labels.

Any opinions?  I thought the CHarvels or CHarvel Jacksons were cheaper, and it is lighter, but the neck is weird at the heel and I have to play it again just for the feel to see again what I really think before I make the purchase.  Any opinions or ideas?

What about these active electronics?  They WILL NOT work without the battery (I've been told) which sucks (I'm told they will not), but they switch on, so will they complete the circuit with even a dead battery in the box so you can play plugged in or no?  Anyone here know?  Thanks ahead of time.

• Members

Have you considered the SG body style? It's got humbuckers. It's light and looks cool. I'm not familiar with the Charvel line but most Charvels come with Floyd Rose tremelos which I'm not a fan of and it's a harder guitar to learn on with that tremelo (my own opinion).

Here's an Epi top of the line SG 400. They sell for $399 new but they have models that sells down to @ $100.

sg

• Members

Unless he's a straight up metal head, I'd stray away from the Charvel. Active electronics and a Floyd are a little high maintenance for a beginner. I guess the LP would be the way to go, unless you can find a MIM Strat with a humbucker in the bridge. They're out there. You want something that he'll want to play, but something that will serve him well too. However Epi LP Studios go for $350 new, so you should be able to find him a nicer LP, a standard or maybe even a custom used within your budget.

• Members

This is the guitar I originally got his big bro (who doesn't play it, and I commandeered it since I got him a thrashing guitar long ago and he sold it for TEN DOLLARS when I had my back turned basically.

This son wants to play and the only downside to the SG, which is a great guitar is the neck heavy aspect.

This Charvel DC-1 has no tremolo at all and I'd buy it for myself if it had an original Floyd on it for the price. My biggest fear is the active electronics. And to find the thing eats batteries at some rate nobody wants.

• Members

Not sure how the posts still work here since I've not posted here in years, but the above answer =should show you and weird because I thought a lot of the Charvels were weird and with Tremelos and after the Jackson spilt--I guess they really have been making some nice guitars, most of them with no tremolo whatsoever.

Archived