Wonky RCF312 and a show on Friday

• Members

It figures... One of my RCF312s is having an input issue. The volume is very inconsistent and/or cuts out if the mic cable is moved even slightly, and only hold a constant volume for fairly short periods of time. Before you ask, yes, I changed out the mic cable and mixing board input to one of the others that is working properly. The speaker was working fine for all three shows we did last weekend, but we discovered the problem during a rehearsal tonight.

The input is constructed as an integral part of the electronics (ie not serviceable by the likes of me), so I am going to have to rely on RCF warranty to get it fixed, as it's only about a year old. Unfortunately, I won't have time to get it repaired before I need it. RCF was very good to me when one of my other 312s died, and I have nothing bad to say about RCF, but this is my second RCF failure in a year and I am wondering at this point if I would be better off going with something like the QSC K12s due to the ability to run down to the local Guitar Center/music store and pick a replacement up if something goes wrong. Generally speaking, every town we play in has a music store that sells QSC, whereas RCF is pretty much impossible to find a store that stocks them.

I love the RCFs when they are working and I don't hear of other people having problems with them. Did I just get unlucky here? The equipment has traveled around plenty but hasn't been abused and we use Connie's covers when stowing them.

Anyone have any opinion about moving to QSC? The RCF is a good bit less expensive but we can't deal with 33% of our speakers failing on an annual basis.

• Members

You know, there is the POSSIBILITY that the input and output ports are directly connected inside the unit. If that's the case, you might be able to get through the show with a gender changer plugged into the 'wrong' port.

Of course, this might damage the speaker or the output its connected to (mixing board). Please don't try this unless somebody smarter than me, with access to the schematics, okays it first.

• Members

Have you tried using an XLR to TRS adaptor or short patch to go into the 1/4" input on the 312a? If it's a MKIII, it should have one.

No question that the fact they're everywhere and that they have a great warrantee is one of the attractions of the QSCs. I haven't had any trouble with the 5 RCF speakers I've been using over the past few years, but I do worry sometimes. Luckily I've been able to build enough redundancy into my setup that I can afford to have a speaker in the shop from time to time. So far, so good, though!

Louis

• Members

I appreciate the suggestions.  This particular show was requiring us to use our spares as well.  We have a borrowed set of powered monitors that are supposed to waiting for us when we get into town, so it should be covered.  

I expect RCF will be as good to deal with this time as they were last time, so I am not concerned about that. 

Archived