statute of limitations on gig poor choices

• Members

I used to do this gig some 8 years ago and worked it for a few years run. Easy in terms of gear but long hours, too many people. Disrespectful audience,  always chasing the money or respect from the promoter. I moved on. 

Well, he called me for a 6 band event. i tried to price myself out of the running but failed. So Saturday I was there. Crappy American Legion hall, terrible stage. 6 good bands. I've mixed all of them. 3 national touring acts. I brought my sidekick Chris. He can do anything I can and knows the rig. Easy. For this gig I brought the QSC HPR153 over 181 rig and 5 wedges on 4 mixes. SL2442 mixer. Some LED color washes. The room was only about 80' deep. In hindsight I should have brought two more subs to get the tops higher. The rig was small but just enough...a bit shy on the bottom end but we survived. Everyone was happy.

Terrible load in place after promises of easy access. I made signs that said "no drinks' and stuck them to my table. Plenty of people put drinks right on the sign. I threw them right in the trash. Pissed off a few people.  Supposed to be free food and drinks. Nope. I told the guy cash money before the last act. At least that was handled.

First "by the way": a video crew set up two hours earlier in my FOH spot. No problem. Then they wanted an XLR feed. I told them to get a couple RTS to XLRM adators...a blank stare..

2nd by the way: no security backstage so fans were blocking the way up on stage getting autographs and cell phone videos. 

3rd by the way, supposed to be a hard ending at 10pm. last song finished at 1030 then a DJ kept people dancing...and in the way, till 1130. 

my tech got really sick on the first band, throwing up and all...I did all the switchovers and finished the night. 

"and oh yea, we're gonna have an act come up right after the awards" "what awards"?  So 7 acts, not 6.

everything went fine but it reminded me why I got so sick of this guy's events. 

• Members

Phew............

We are not in this except for the love of it and being in the blood.

Seriously you can make 1200.00 for one DJ show and kick butt over any typical bozo DJ's system

and simply run music for a few hours.

I cant believe what DJ's make at weddings...unreal.

I always joke I make enough on a sound gig to stop and get a breakfast burrito and a hot coffee for

the ride home :)

• Members

i remember the days when a broken 58 ate my profit margin for a gig after gas, burger.

4 DJs on this gig, each doing a set of clipped, harsh, ice pick songs on two EONs...oh and with a tremendous ground hum on the turntable and turntable feedback too.

I made decent money but I guess I'm just spoiled..and I admit, a bit out of shape for a one-man gig. 

• Members

witesol wrote:

I used to do this gig some 8 years ago and worked it for a few years run. Easy in terms of gear but long hours, too many people. Disrespectful audience,  always chasing the money or respect from the promoter. I moved on. 

Well, he called me for a 6 band event. i tried to price myself out of the running but failed. So Saturday I was there. Crappy American Legion hall, terrible stage. 6 good bands. I've mixed all of them. 3 national touring acts. I brought my sidekick Chris. He can do anything I can and knows the rig. Easy. For this gig I brought the QSC HPR153 over 181 rig and 5 wedges on 4 mixes. SL2442 mixer. Some LED color washes. The room was only about 80' deep. In hindsight I should have brought two more subs to get the tops higher. The rig was small but just enough...a bit shy on the bottom end but we survived. Everyone was happy.

Terrible load in place after promises of easy access. I made signs that said "no drinks' and stuck them to my table. Plenty of people put drinks right on the sign. I threw them right in the trash. Pissed off a few people.  Supposed to be free food and drinks. Nope. I told the guy cash money before the last act. At least that was handled.

First "by the way": a video crew set up two hours earlier in my FOH spot. No problem. Then they wanted an XLR feed. I told them to get a couple RTS to XLRM adators...a blank stare..

2nd by the way: no security backstage so fans were blocking the way up on stage getting autographs and cell phone videos. 

3rd by the way, supposed to be a hard ending at 10pm. last song finished at 1030 then a DJ kept people dancing...and in the way, till 1130. 

my tech got really sick on the first band, throwing up and all...I did all the switchovers and finished the night. 

"and oh yea, we're gonna have an act come up right after the awards" "what awards"?  So 7 acts, not 6.

everything went fine but it reminded me why I got so sick of this guy's events. 

I assume you got paid (somewhat?) well for this abuse?

Archived