ABBA's synths

ricklaww

• Members

does anyone know any info on synths that ABBA used?

before they disband after the last record(the visitors-1981)before midi,FM and sampling.what type of analog gear did they used?I think I've seen them with yam cp-70 ep once.jupitar 4s?

• Members

Are you from Sweden?You got to give me more info if you can on their studio gear(1971-81). ABBA is one of my fav bands and Benny's synth work is plain beauty.He once said "It has no limits, that machine" on GX1(introduced at US NAMM in '73- only 7 units are made?).Hans Zimmer bought one from Keith Emerson .I just found that out.GX 1 and mini moog (1970-81) were confirmed.

JP 8 is a new synth though(1980-84).

• Members

Originally posted by analogaddict

Yes, and they mixed them in an unusual way; the cymbals are almost non-existant!

/J:cool: nas

the cymbals and sometimes bass guitar.(70's analog recordings are simply warm though they may not be crisp enough)

They used" stereo phase out technique"

In general, what happens is the song's "layers" get shuffled. Many times you will hear an instrument or vocal you never knew was there, making it a lot of fun to re-listen to their songs.

they also use "live" type mixing.more moving power harmonies as if they are singing live.Unlike regular preset level bass and kick standards.

Another true story-Led Zepplin also liked ABBA's studio sound so much that they record/attemp to record an album in ABBa's Studio in Sweden.John paul jones was also found of benny's synth choice(later bought CP70-80 and gx1)though Page turned his volume down.:D

strange that the greatest rock band of all time wanted greatest pop band of all time's studio sound.

• Members

One of the ABBA girls, Agnetha Faltskog got the worst review today in www.gp.se on her new album of covers, e.g. Fly me to the moon. It was given 0 out of 5 which is very unusual, with comments like "sloppy strings", "completely pointless" and an english pronunciation that "probably wasn't meant to be amusing".

You hear one of the songs at http://www.streaming.telia.com/startmedia/default.asp?k=354&i=705&n=Whenyou.rm

Back to the old debate why so many heroes (if Agnetha is one) seem to lose their spark after some years in the business.:confused: Fortunately Bjorn and Benny are still going strong.:) And we have the young to take over...a host of young new swedish rock bands from "my town".:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by ricklaww

Another true story-Led Zepplin also liked ABBA's studio sound so much that they record/attemp to record an album in ABBa's Studio in Sweden.

...which is now closing down because of residents in the house complaining about sound levels. The studio has been there SO much longer than the current residents...:mad: If you don

• Members

Originally posted by gonkypete

One of the ABBA girls, Agnetha Faltskog got the worst review today in
www.gp.se
on her new album of covers, e.g. Fly me to the moon. It was given 0 out of 5 which is very unusual, with comments like "sloppy strings", "completely pointless" and an english pronunciation that "probably wasn't meant to be amusing".

You hear one of the songs at
http://www.streaming.telia.com/startmedia/default.asp?k=354&i=705&n=Whenyou.rm

Back to the old debate why so many heroes (if Agnetha is one) seem to lose their spark after some years in the business.
:confused:
Fortunately Bjorn and Benny are still going strong.
:)
And we have the young to take over...a host of young new swedish rock bands from "my town".
:cool:

Well, if I recall correctly, Agnetha had solo albums *before* ABBA, and they were, erm, how shall I put it, not suitable for the international market either.

And although the girls were certainly more than fluff (where would the band have been without those glitter platform boots?), the musical heart and soul of ABBA was the collaboration between Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson. Agnetha and Frida never were good solo artists, before or after ABBA.

-- Ronald.

• Members

Originally posted by gonkypete

One of the ABBA girls, Agnetha Faltskog got the worst review today in
www.gp.se
on her new album of covers, e.g. Fly me to the moon. It was given 0 out of 5 which is very unusual,

she's still hot for her age and I had I major crush on her when I was young and watching their videos,listening their songs.umm ... Those beautiful natural blond girls.:)

• 5 years later...
  • Members

They actually discuss their recording technique briefly in this interview, which was originally done for UK TV, but I guess one of the Scandinavian channels rebroadcast it. Not much about synths though, although Moog is mentioned and one or 2 background synths are visible.

kUkUVp_csEQ

• Members

Yea remember that. As much as im not a pop lover i do enjoy that riff any insight into playing that sequence i was not gifted with the talent of playing by ear.

The chords are Ebmin, F#, and Bbmin.

Arpeggiate the full Ebmin chord (the full four notes of an octave chord), perform five notes of the Ebmin scale to the Bb (for the F# portion). Then, arpeggiate the full F# chord, but end on the Bb. Then, arpeggiate a four note Bbmin chord (start at the F) to end at Eb.

Something like that.

• Members

Benny was quite excited when he got the letter from Madonna asking for permisson to use that riff. Apparently, Benny had a happy school boys look in his face, waving the letter around, when telling a friend of mine who is working in the studio.

j

Archived