I am not a jazz musician, but damn...

• Members

I wish I was one.

Here's the latest stuff I've been working on; most of it is total jazz, but I don't know enough about Jazz and am not a good enough jazz vibist/pianist to do exactly what I want. I played my wurlitzer for like 20 minutes last night over a littel bossa beat I did with acoustic guitar and bass last night and I was like "CRAP! I SUCK ASS!"

But anyway, thank God for editing; I can kind of scrape together something solid out of the different passes (although I guess on Sharpie, I didn't really edit much)

A bit of the whilrwind, buddy

Sharpie

• Members

I always love your stuff ACL... I think you exemplify why inate musical ability and taste is more important than knowing loads of chords and scales...

I was reminded of the music to "The Man Who Fell to Earth" esp the start with the echoing voices...

NOt sure about the accordian but I applaud you for doing something different!

Nice stuff! I wish there were more people like you just willing to throw a load of ideas together and see what happens..

Peace

Orangefunk

• Members

Hey, glad you guys like the tracks, they were a lot of fun to put together.

Flukewarm: Thanks for the encouragement, it's totally apreciated. The next CD should be coming out late this summer/early fall; I'm putting together a free promotional CD that we'll be giving to people and clubs for free with the hope that people will book us.

Orangefunk: Thanks for the kind words. I'm also not sure about the accordian; I'm going to try to put vocals over it this weekend and maybe some other more orchestral things, but we'll see. I think I need more reverb in that part... And actually, if I could get violins to play that part, that'd be closer to what I was hearing... I'll let you guys know when I repost it.

Thanks for listening!

• Members

After reading your "disclaimer", I have to tell you that I was very pleasantly surprised. The first part of "whirlwind" reminds me of some things from an old Billy Cobham album I had. The second is good too, maybe what a Zappa would be doing with jazz today if he were still alive. I know most of us don't think of FZ when we think jazz, but he had a very keen sense about the genre.

• Members

always glad there are guys like you around to remind me what an amateur i am :D

very nice! i am also not sure about the accordeon.... after a couple of times listening it fits better and better though. maybe some whistling instead might work as well.

• Members

"originally posted by DeepSleeper

BTW: At what stage does a musician realize that they have ALSO become a jazz musician? Is it now...or NOW...or.."

u know everyone else thinks so when someone says, "you won't like this CD, it's not jazzy enough"

(hi all!)

unique tracks. v nice bass. not sure about the harmonys though :) .

And i guess somethings jazzy enough when you want to put your shades on and go .:cool:

• Members

I agree with everyone, these tracks are very interesting and fun to listen to. I do happen to be a Jazz musician, (I know this cause I play many Jazz Gigs) {smart-ass} and I would like to listen to this kind of stuff while having a drink in a favorite chill lounge. This could easily be spun by a DJ and mixed with other experimental IDM or the like.

cool stuff!!

PS. did you notice, most everything is in the left speaker? You might want to check your panning.

• Members

hi Air Cut Light! really like your music....it's so unconventional, makes me feel like an old bore :) What I like most is the weird talking in 'a bit of...'. Sometimes I get a little lost in the bassline, I never had the feeling I really understood the track. But that may be what you're after. I found 'sharpie' a bit too repetitive, IMHO there should be more instruments, more arrangement to keep it interesting.

Tracks were, as usual, a lot of fun to listen to!

I heard a quote someday.. 'if you ask what jazz is, you are never going to know'

:D

• Members

Hi Air Cut Light and everybody.

I find myself listening to these tracks over and over again. I'm a lot into jazz and guess I would be calling myself a jazz musician if I'd posted anything jazzy as this on the web :)

As for the repetitive "Wurli?" groove in Sharpie, in my opinion that may be adjusted by turning that specific sound down a little. Otherwise IMHO I wouldn't change anything in these tracks. They ROCK man! Wonder what they sounded like before editing? From my experience changing things usually don't make it better. I always use Peter Gabriel as a bad example of overproducing your music so much there is no edge left at all. Though I'm sure he's had a host of good ideas - like the RealWorld initiative.

You people posting your music on this forum - that's what may make me stick around :)

Archived