Stage Piano

loozrrtuba

• Members

I know i am probably beating a dead horse, but here goes.

I have been given $1000 plus accesories (stand, pedal, etc) to buy a digital piano for my church.

I played on a P90 today and liked it's sound a lot, but thought the feel was bit heavy.

I like the feel of and Alesis QS8.x series, but the pianos have never really been a "WOW" factor.

I hate Korg

I really don't like the Roland Digital Pianos

I have considered a PC1x or something similar, htough avoiding the PC88 (crappy feel, IMHO)

I cannot consider a module/controller setup

Am I missing any brand/ model..?

What to buy?

It will be used in a church setting, playing everything from true rock, gospel, worship, hymns, classical and everything in between

Thanks

Justin

BTW - if there is a thread i missed just post the link and I will gladly read away

• Members

Originally posted by davehorne

How 'bout a second hand Clavinova? That might have a better appearance in church as it presents itself as a spinit piano.

IMHO, no Clavinova in the pricerange of any P-series piano (i.e. up to $2000) can come close to a P-series piano. The only advantage is speaker output. The actual sound quality is noticably lower. The upper end Clavis are great instruments, but way outta your range.

I say find a P-120 with the updated keyboard action (as documented in rintincop's threads) and some more powerful speakers.

Kiru

• Members

thanks guys - again i value your input

I hate Clavinovas. I've only ever met one I like, and it'spiano was less than superb

unless I hear differently I am pretty sure i will recommend a P90 to the church board. Our stage setup has no shortage of wedge monitors, so I'm still not sure about amplification for it. It will definately run into the house in stereo though - even if it kills me

BTW - for those familiar, could I run main outs in stereo and then use an aux out on the keyboard for a mono amp (a la KC300)???

Thanks Again

Justin

• Members

I had the same problem. I ended up buying the Yamaha S90, which has the action I love. Although the piano samples are not as nice as the P90, there are many advantages for me. Guess you have to decide what is most important.

• Members

Awaiting P250 plug from Kirumamoru...

Awaiting P120 plug from P120duDe...

Awaiting P90/120newkeybed/P250 plug from rintincop...

;):p:D

And now for my own plug: I like the P120. I have an old one with the heavy action but I like it just fine. The newer ones feel more like a P90, probably because it is.

• Members

Since no one mentioned this the PC1X I'll just add it to the list which falls in the price range you mentioned. I had a PC2 and frankly liked the acoustic piano patch on it. It was semi-weighted and have also been described as lightly weighted. To me the keys weight felt very substantial in comparison to other semi-weighted board. The PC2X and PC1X are weighted though on the lighter side compared to the Yamaha P series.

Both boards will sound great. One will have the edge over the other. Your ears will have to decide for you.....just my bit

• Members

Get the p120. The feel, sound, etc is superb. Very lightweight, also. Here are some of the Specs:

*88 Graded Hammer weighted action keys

*Great Built in speaker system

*3 Layer Dynamic Stereo Sampling with Soundboard, Key-off, sustain, and string resonance modelling.

*Half Dampering Modelling

*28 voices

Check it out. It's the bomb!!! :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Kurzweil PC1X is not a good choice(in my opinion) The piano sound is weird. Im sorry to the Kurz. lovers, but it is just weird to me. But you really have to try it yourself. Plus, if you dont like the key action of the pc88, then you wont like the PC1X key action.

p120dUdE

• Members

Well, I agree with the P series as well, P120 in your price range. But for a different slant on things, where there is a more varied recommendation world, you might check out the Digital Piano sight on the Piano World Forum. They've got a whole Roland fan club over there. Lots of discussions on the RD700's, FP series, etc..I think Yamaha's got digitals knocked, but you might just want another series of opinions. :)

• Members

Originally posted by sporter

Regarding the P-90 and P-120...how do they compare in terms of piano sound and action? I know one has speakers, and a couple of the features are different, but for piano, aren't they essentially the same?

Hey,

No, they are absolutely not the same. The p90's piano sound is dull, very lifeless. I mean, its ok, but not great. The action is good, but the key to sound connection is so so.

The p120's piano sound is absolutely superb. The key to sound connection is superb. The action is excellent. The built in speakers are great.

p120dUdE

Archived