because i can: squarepusher/cassetteboy in atl..

• Members

incredible show...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/urban/reviews/cassette_parker.shtml

http://paradroid.com/junk/cassetteboy/ (cassetteboy mp3s - listen!)

a friend of mine introduced me to cassetteboy a month or so ago. i was a fan before but now after i saw them live.. and the more i listen to the cd the more im completely awestruck. it took 7 years to produce cassette boys controversial yet awe inspiring album. and it shows. its difficult to explain cassette boy in less than a paragraph. just check it out if you can. its WAY better to listen to the CD from front to back tho (a friend bought the disc at the show) its 98 tracks ranging from 10 seconds to 3 or 4 minutes. {censored}ing wow.

squarepusher was amazing as per ususal. he is a sadistic madman and musical genius. no kidding around here.

there was a pretty decent DJ there as well. spun acid house, elektro, and jungle. good {censored}. tho he did wear out his welcome slightly in the beginning, only because we expected the show to start earlier.

cassette boy dressed up as pres bush and prime minister blair. probably just getting done either humping a blow up sheep, acting out a sex scene from a harry potter book on tape, or acting out a political satire on the war.

P1010003.jpg

cassette boy waving bye at the end of their set as pres bush and michael jackson. it was jaw dropping wow.

P1010010.jpg

the squarepusher show was as good if not better than when i saw him last year in chicago. the light show was spectacular. he played bass proabably 75% of the show. during some parts it seemed as though he was triggering midi events (samples or drumsynth) with his bass. again. wow. im almost thinking he used something like http://www.koen.smartelectronix.com/KTDrumTrigger/ THIS... because he was triggering only by slapping. no distinct notes being played. other gearspotting. i saw an ms-20 set up. but i never saw him touch it. i was trying to listen for ms-20 type sounds but that proved to be as difficult as... well. finding a needle in a haystack.

P1010026.jpg

light show. BRIGHT strobe lights. i never really got a great one of his face. his set was FAR more moody and atmospheric and noisy.

P1010028.jpg

• Members

hey fluke, i was there too w/ my roomate...we were in tha front... but i gotta correct you, there were 2 djs, tha 1st played all tha acid house, and the 2nd did tha jungle...also, was tha korg an ms20 or was it that new software controller...tha show was off tha hook...i also was trying to figure out that drum stuff he did; from my vantage point, i couldnt see all his pickups or the outputs on his 6 string bass...i know that the 4 string was strait bass signal though...

• Members

OHhhhhHhHh1`!! thanx WRGS! i was further back (as you can see) so it was especially difficult to put a face to the dj(s). also. the new ms20 controller has minikeys. that looked like a fullsize ms20 to me. i dunno. i was towards the back. was he not doing the percussion sounds with his 4 string only? pure speculation but there were 2 laptops setup. (in chicago last year he only had one) maybe he had his 4 string running through it? (no 4 string OR percussive sounds in chi)

yeah. definately a show to look out for if it comes to your neighborhood.

tom (squarepusher) looked so happy to be there too! you can tell he has a lot of fun during his shows.

• Members

yeah, i was kinda confused w/ his setup...i thought that tha korg was going to the second laptop (thats why i think its tha legacy), but i really dont know...when he wa using his 4 string, i know 1 of tha sounds can be achieved by hitting tha strings against tha pickup; but that crazy bassdrum sound he was getting didnt sound completely like it came from his bass...maybe he was running through software that had input sensitivety or something that created those effects...

• Members

Originally posted by incubass

awwwwwww:mad: why why why didn't I go to this show? I was on the verge of making the drive and decided not to...oh well, maybe next time...
:(

thats alright, cuz it was sold out...and if you hadn't purchased a ticket you would have driven for nothing...

• Members

Originally posted by WRGS

thats alright, cuz it was sold out...and if you hadn't purchased a ticket you would have driven for nothing...

true, I ended up working in the studio anyways so it all worked out...next time though, I'm there.

• Members

Cassetteboy put on a good show, alright. I could hear the legacy of Plunderphonics and Negativland in their act. I don't have any particular feelings about the Harry Potter franchise, but man I was LMAO at their nasty sendups.

This was my first time catching Squarepusher live. The place was PACKED for a guy who gets zero airplay on the radio. He had two racks of gear that were so tall we couldn't see what he was doing most of the time. I saw the two laptops too, but I have no idea what was in the racks. I think his 6-string bass definitely had a MIDI pickup of some kind, because he played one solo bass piece that triggered an electric piano sound. The material varied between tightly-arranged sequenced bits, solo bass pieces/improvs that did Jaco proud, and Merzbow-like noise interludes.

For the first encore, he did a set of noise, interspersed with teaser beats (just enough to get us dancing for a few seconds) that would disappear as quickly as they appeared.

For the 2nd encore, he rewarded the faithful with a bass improv that sequed into "Come On My Selector" from Big Loada. Ohhhh yeahhhhh.... :D

What an amazing show! He brought forth tremendous energy to go with all that creativity. You could just feel the power and love in the room as he exchanged heartfelt "Fu*k yous" with several guys in the audience. Squarepusher goes on my permanent list of must-see concert artists.

-g

Archived