Triton, Motif, Fantom, 2661... Best fit?

rpieket

• Members

I decided to drastically scale down my studio. I want to replace a ton of specialized gear with one good all-round workstation.

As far as my music style is concerned, let me explain that I have a near complete collection of all that Klaus Schulze ever published, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Brian Eno, Redshift, Dweller at the Threshold, and Radio Massacre International.

Now I'm not trying to emulate those people, and I want to keep my equipment much simpler than them. I'm trying to find the workstation that would suit me best. I like my sounds nuanced and warm. I like "from scratch" sound programming. I love arpeggiators and step sequencers. I love knobs. I love a good reverb, and lots of it. I like simplicity. I don't care (much) about polyphony, don't care (at all) about sampling, don't care about computer editors.

I want one synth, and one only. I'm trying to find the best fit. And I realize that the fit won't be perfect, and some compromises have to be made.

Currently, the main contenders are Triton (with MOSS board), Motif (with PLG150-AN), Fantom, and the Kurzweil 2661.

How do these four compare in terms of "nuance and warmth", "from scratch" programming, user arpeggiator patterns, knobbage, quality of reverb, and overall ease of use?

-- Ronald.

• Members

I am not sure who the people you refer to are. I own a mint Roland Fantom 76 that I don't feel is the right synth for me, I do more Marilyn Manson type of stuff and think I am getting a Nord Lead 2 or something in that vain.

I don't know what you have for gear, but if you are interested in a trade or to purchase let me know. I live right in West Hollywood same as you and would sell the Fantom for $600, I bought it in Feb. 2003 for $1899 from Guitar Center Boston.

• Members

If you are interested in the Fantom and can give me $550 by tomorrow it is yours...........................................

otherwise it is off to GC for sale..................

They will probably sell it for $1100

Here it is:

fantom1.JPG

• Members

Well, the Yamaha Motif would be good for you. I mean, no one can decide which one is right for you except you, but here are some tips.

*The motif's piano sound is very good(for a workstation). The Motif ES has a grand piano sample from a Yamaha CFIIIS concert grand. The Classic Motif has a grand piano from a Yamaha s700 grand. They are both three layer, but the Motif ES's piano sounds better. The Motif's piano beats the Kurzweils, rolands, and tritons piano.

*The key action is good also. The 88 key Motif's have a balanced hammer action. The 76 and 61 keys have Yamaha's Synth action. If your doing piano, the 88 hammer action is the choice.

*The Yamaha motif has a load of sounds, and has a lot of dance and techno. It also has good electric pianos. Very expressive and warm soundset.

*The motif has knobs, lol. It also has realtime control(on the ES) There are many volume sliders for different zones.

If you need more info, I can give you more. But overall, the Motif's sounds are warm, and some sharp and bright. But you would like the Motif. Am I saying it beats the other contenders in EVERY way? No, of course not. But the motif has many features that the others dont, like the motifs good piano sound.

p120dUdE

• Members

Sorry IVcrane, but right now the Motif is winning.

And not only from the recommendations in this thread. I listened to some of the sound set demos on motifator.com, and I'm very, very impressed. Especially the analog recreations were a pleasant surprise - very warm, creamy filters. Sounds like it's giving even my Supernova (which is departing) a run for its money.

Of course I will spend a few hours with my own headphones tinkering with one at Sam Ash or Manny's, or wherever I can find one on display.

Not into dance sounds as such. Primarily looking for good vintage emulations, orchestral strings, ambient and abstract sound effects. And a good arpeggiator, pattern sequencing, knobs, and a decent built-in reverb.

-- Ronald.

• Members

I have a tendancy to agree with the Motif (read - Ilove it!!!), but I really think the Kurzweil might be more up your alley.

The KDFX is hailed as Awesome to say the least and I read somewhere that if you are willing to go through the learning curve process, the VAST synthesis can recreate just about any patch ever imagined. Noone said it would be easy- just possible. I personnaly really like the organs, and with the expanded sound blocks, the sounds are a bit more useful out of the box than some of the older Kurzweil's.

It lacks knobs, but there are ton of faders.

Hope this helps

Justin

• Members

The Kurzweil is a bit of a mystery to me. I browsed the manual, yet I don't get a very clear picture of it. I get the impression that VAST may be powerful, but could be a dog to program.

But I'll be on the lookout for online demos, and see if I can find one on display locally.

It's between the Motif and the K2661. I must say that the plug-in boards for the Motif add extra appeal. I could even plug my old WX5 into it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-- Ronald.

• Members

It was Mike Garson - David Bowie's kybd player- tht was praising the 2661 so well, saying it can emulate any classic synth (in Keyboard Mag, like 2 months ago). But everyone also says it is a "deep" keyboard to program (read - a pain in the butt). I think it's a a good board, but I still have a tendancy to like the Motif a bit better

and you're right, the plug in boards to make it a bit more appealing.

Justin

• Members

I'd go with the Triton and it's MOSS expansion. You're going to get the best balance of sounds, expansion, and interface.

The MOSS gives you a true to life VA and physical modeller.

The second choice would be the new Motiff ES. This gives you good one two punch in terms of sound quality from the get go and different synth options.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike51

from the get go and different synth options.

This inspired me to bust up a bit of a rhyme, so here goes:

"From the get go

I'm with the flow

bringin' ya'll da show

how it ain't so

how it ain't disco

if ya gosta ask dou

I'd get tha MO!"

Oh ferrchriss....what the hell ya doin' man? :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Beepboper

P120dude you are allways praising Yamaha gear but have you actually played the new Fantom X??? Did you think its new 4 layer piano sound with 700 samples was not worth mentioning?

Yes, I have tryed the Fantom X. I was at GC. And I thought it sounded pretty bad. And yes, I am always praising Yamaha gear, but is that really a Crime?:rolleyes: Also, I didnt mention the 4 layer piano becasue first of all, I was reviewing the motif, not the fantom.

p120dUdE

• Members

beeboper -

I agree, even though I am a huge fan of the new Yamaha. I played an roland S88 at GC the other day and was like " this is a huge improvement over my JV1080!!!!"

I will ultimately buy a motif, but i am considering a XV2020 or 5050

Justin

• Members

Originally posted by IVcrane

If you are interested in the Fantom and can give me $550 by tomorrow it is yours...........................................

otherwise it is off to GC for sale..................

They will probably sell it for $1100

Here it is:

fantom1.JPG

IV Crane... are you serious about the Fantom for $600? Please email me at wheresgrant@optonline.net or call me at 800-981-7013 and we can work something out immediately via PayPal.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

IV Crane... are you serious about the Fantom for $600? Please email me at
or call me at 800-981-7013 and we can work something out immediately via PayPal.

I am serious. However scubyfan is supposed to be here this morning to pick it up. If he doesn't show I would be interested in that, but it would need to be immediately as I am going to pick up my new synth in 2 hours

• Members

He is supposed to be here between 8:10 and 8:30 this morning. It is 8:30 now so if he isn't here in the next 1/2 hour and you are willing to do an immediate paypal it is yours. Otherwise I need to fly to GC to sell it to them.

Archived