Help! My new MIDI interface won't work on Windows XP!

• Members

Looks like I got kind of suckered on this one, I bought a Midiman Portman 2x4 on Ebay, only when it said in the listing "Worked fine with Windows 98 and Cubase" I figured it meant the guy had just pulled it out of a box in the attic, didn't realise it was a euphemism for "Not bloody supported on anything else".

The question now is, is it feasible to reinstall windows 98, and if I do, can I choose between running that and XP or am I stuck with one or the other? Or does this go back on Ebay with the same euphemistic caveat?

Btw I checked the Midiman website and it is definitely supported on Windows 98, no idea why they haven't made drivers for later versions 'cos they still sell this item.

• Members

windows xp does have the possibility to use older SOFTWARE that was intended for win98 and 95. it's quite possible that the old portman DRIVERS can also be used in xp.

i don't remember exactly how you tell xp to use them in win98 mode though. maybe somebody else does?

if not, i'm happy to look into it for you.

btw i also don't know if it affects performance. i think xp does need 2 extra processes to run programs in win98/95 mode.

• Members

ofcourse you could also install a dual boot system, with a program like partition magic. that way you can choose between xp and win98 at startup. it is a lot of 'trouble' to go through for a midi port though.

a dual boot system is a nice way to keep your audio system clean. i would like both partitions to be xp myself.

• Members

Thanks puta, duel bootup might just do the trick.

No point trying to use XP in 98 mode 'cos it won't even let me install the driver, I get "Driver file may be missing" every time, even when I've just selected it on the menu.

So can I get a downloadable copy of partition magic and Windows 98? Apologies for obvious questions but I didn't touch a computer for a few years and I'm not up on these sort of things.

• Members

Originally posted by Purity_Control

Thanks puta, duel bootup might just do the trick.

if you decide to go dual boot, make sure that all your audio progs run in win98. cubase sx for example does not.

No point trying to use XP in 98 mode 'cos it won't even let me install the driver, I get "Driver file may be missing" every time, even when I've just selected it on the menu.

that sux.

So can I get a downloadable copy of partition magic and Windows 98?

well anything is possible these days... not very legal though.

if that is a problem for you, i would seriously consider selling the portman and getting a midisport or something like that. buying win98 and partition magic will probably cost more than the portman cost you.

maybe there is some freeware program like partition magic, but i don't know about that.

• Members

Microsoft permits license downgrades. IOW, you can buy XP but use 98 instead. I'm sure a creative argument could be made that since you can't use both partitions simultaneously (we'll ignore the existence of VMware for this discussion), you're just downgrading XP for the duration of the session.

And you don't have to use partition magic to dual boot. I believe LiLo will do the trick, but if not there are other alternatives as well.

Archived