Need help taking a dump

• Members

Me again.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my old Roland MC505 and installing a more recent OS after that.

What i'm trying to do is MIDI-dump all patterns that i'lld like to keep to a software sequencer.

I'm using Cubase SX to do the job wich i've bought only recently so i might have some setting wrong somewhere.

Cubase SX works fine when playing my master keyboard so the MIDI-in connection should be allright shanging only the keyboard out to the MC505's out.

What i get from the MC505's manual is this:

I select a pattern an innitialise the MIDI-dump. Here i can choose to dump settings, musical data, or both. So i choose both.

Having the connection right and running cubase...

Now i start recording with cubase (enabling recording on all 16 tracks just to be shure) and i press enter on the 505 to execute the MIDI dump, exactly like it says in the manual.

Having done this there is no MIDI data to be seen in any of the tracks. Should there be?

Thing is that when i try to perform a MIDI-dump from a sertain pattern without having cubase recording on the other end, the pattern is still existent on the MC505 where iff cubase is recording during the "dump" the pattern is gone from the MC505's memory.

But, like i says, there's no recorded data to be seen in cubases project window. :(

I'm trying this out dumping pattern i'lld otherwise delete but i'm running out on patterns that i want to get ridd of.

Any word of advice would be more than appreciated.

Peter

• Members

This is my first time ever using a MIDI connection so please excuse me iff i come across as a complete ass. :D

It's alittle late rightnow. I'll have another go tomorrow or whenever i get the time. :(

Ive never connected anything trough MIDI before but the basic idea is to get the MC505 running smoothly and sinced to Cubase, wherein i'll do all audio recording and sampling.

I payed quite some money for cubase sx and i'm gonna be spending allot of time figuring it out and making it a good investment.

Poop's not that bad you know.

Peter

• Members

poop is poop

when you get a chance look up sysex in your manual

for instance in my sequencer i would pull down a menu item for controllers to be visible

and then i would select sysex under the submenu to see those flags.

turn your tempos down when you dump

btw

• Members

Hey AstrometricAtomotron,

First let me say that I know nothing of Cubase, so I'm going to take a different approach. SysEx stands for "System Exclusive", so the data means nothing to any other device other than the MC505 (some exceptions, depending on the vendor). With that in mind, I'd recommend that you find a "patch editor" that will allow you to work on the data from the MC505 and these usually also encompass a SysEx utility. a Quick Google found this one:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/mc505ed/

But I'm sure there are others (think SoundDiver, etc). It should have rather straight forward instructions for doing an "All data" SysEx dump. Also, I noticed you sounded as though you were loosing the data you were sending via SysEx. This should not be the case. Consider SysEx like copying. The only time you will loose anything is when you recieve SysEx data on the MC505, as you are in effect writing over the current data. But that is normally your intention.

Hope that helps...

• Members

Clarification: a MIDI-dump would be system exclusive (sysex) information - it would ONLY be good for reloading that same information back into your MC505 for playback, and it may not show up as "tracks" in Cubase. So the question is: are you trying to save the sysex data so you can reload it back into your MC505 at a later time? OR are you trying to play your sequenced MC505 patterns in Cubase? Because if you're trying to play MC505 patterns in Cubase then a MIDI dump would be the wrong way to go about it. You would simply play the MC505 sequences into the MIDI input of your computer into Cubase if you want to transfer patterns. If you're trying to save the MC505 data to you can reload it back into the MC505 at a later date, a MIDI-dump would be the correct procedure.

You'll have to be specific about what you want to do with your data for further help.

• Members

Yes. What i'm trying to do is save patterns on the MC505 to Cubase on the computer so i can import them again later when i upgraded the MC's OS.

I have read everything concerning midi connecticity and receiving sys-ex bulk dumps in cubase sx but something's still not quite right because it's not working.

When the dump to cubase is succesfull there should be an event list availible to enable further editing of the Sys-ex data iff necessairy but that's not the case so i'm assuming there's no data transferr at all.

noonehere, thanks for the link, i'll be checking that ou the next few hours.

Thing is, i can try it using other software but eventually i'll have to learn how to do everything in cubase since it's the only legally purchesed software i have so i better make it usefull for the money. The manual's 800+ pages in PDF format but i'm either gonna buy a paper manual (book) or print them all out cause this is not working very comfortable.

Thanks you both for helpfull words.

Iff i get this sorted out there's still a great adventure ahead with importing the new OS though. :eek:

AA

• Members

OK, i'm using MIDIOX now and it looks easygoing, but still not working.

Same problem i'm having with cubase sx. When i play my master keyboard both in and out monitor windows are active and displaying all data but when i change the midi out from the keyboard to that of the MC505 nothing happens. I've set it up to pass sysex and all but nothing.

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the MIDI/out of the MC. :confused:

AA

• Members

Validate your in/out connections to make sure that's not swapped, but that's about all I can think of.

I know some units have MIDI In (sysex) turned off by default, but not MIDI out. MIDIOX is a great monitoring tool, so I think you're on the right track. It just may be that you have a dead MIDI out. BTW isn't that a MIDI Out/Thru? Not that it makes a difference. Also, try the Editor (it's free) to see if the unit is receiving data (just a bad out). Good luck.

Archived