Can someone sum up Roland's XP editing structure?

• Members

I'm very familar with Korg's synthesis and editing features, especially the Triton.

Each timbre is called a patch (for instance Octave Strings) and multiple patches create a multitimberal combination (for instance: Romance piano, might contain a few layers of strings, piano and vocal patches). The triton allows direct access to each patch within a combination through it's editing menus. Thus if I want to remove a piano patch and replace it with bells or timpani, I can do so very easily.

I still haven't figured out Roland's structure. The XP30 contains over 1400 patches. That's easy enough. A performance I would guess are multiple patches... although in listening to them they don't sound any more complex than the patches themselves. Are they just shells waiting to be written over?

If I want to start to create my own 'performance', where do I start, how do I access the many patches to create such a performance, and where do I save them?. I'm scanning through some of the menus (not really knowing where I'm going, hitting undo to not do any damage) but I'm not really accomplishing anything.

• Members

Its all in the XP30 manual. The row of buttons below the display perform different functions depending on whether you're in EDIT mode or not.

A Performance can be either a "Layer" or "Part" setup.

"Layer" mode is basically the same thing as Korg's Combi Mode and "Part" is what you use for a multitimbral setup when the XP30 is being triggered by an external sequencer.

The XP30 has 64 User Performances which can all be overwritten with your own.

• Members

Well that's easier said than done... I bought the Xp30 used sans manual. I downloaded the Turbostart PDF but the manual has to be ordered from Roland. Bastards!!!

So I'm flying blind.

:(

Actually I'm having trouble just loading patches. I know how to load by category and I can easily access sounds in the Wave expansion cards, but how do I get easy access to the PR-A, B & C banks without having to turn the dial to reach them.

• Members

Originally posted by brzilian

What exactly is the point of your post?

Uhh... he asked the question ''Can someone sum up Roland's XP editing structure?'' So I answered it. I'd say ''Obtuse'' is a pretty apt description.

It was a joke. Laugh.

Kiru

• Members

OK wheresgrant3, first of all don't worry about mucking things up if you change paramaters in Performance (or Patch) mode. Nothing gets permanently modified unless you go through a save routine. The only things that don't go through a save operation in Roland XP's are System paramaters...(that funny little button that everyone's hesitant to press)...

Roland XP's have two types of Performances: Single and Layer. You can do the same things in both, but Single is optimised for recording and Layer is optimised for live playing. Since you are mostly concerned with live playing, look for Layers in your presets.

Each Performance consists of 16 Parts. Parts are where the individual Patches (sounds) reside, along with related paramaters like volume, effects levels, key range, and (very important) MIDI channel, local on-off...stuff like that. Usually the Parts are lined up 1-16 with MIDI channels 1-16, but if you can override these defaults if you want to layer two or more Parts.

This stuff is almost impossibe to do without a manual in hand, but go ahead and experiment, and when your manual arrives it will all make a lot more sense, hopefully.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Actually I'm having trouble just loading patches. I know how to load by category and I can easily access sounds in the Wave expansion cards, but how do I get easy access to the PR-A, B & C banks without having to turn the dial to reach them.

On my XP-60 you change banks by pressing and holding "Shift" and entering a corresponding number on the keypad. I don't know about the XP-30 but it's a good bet it's a similiar operation.

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

On my XP-60 you change banks by pressing and holding "Shift" and entering a corresponding number on the keypad. I don't know about the XP-30 but it's a good bet it's a similiar operation.

Same thing on the 30. Shift+1 for PR-A, Shift+2 for PR-B, etc...

Call Roland. You can order the manual for $10-15.

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

Uhh... he asked the question ''Can someone sum up Roland's XP editing structure?'' So I answered it. I'd say ''Obtuse'' is a pretty apt description.

It was a joke. Laugh.

Kiru

I know you're a Yamaha freak, but that's just stupid to make comments like that. Saying something is hard or obtuse is just an excuse for not taking the time to learn how it works.

The XP30 is sure as hell alot easier to work with then some of Yamaha's older synths (DX7, SY77).

I'd say in some ways, the XP30 is simpler to work with than my Motif6 which has a huge display.

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

It was a joke. Laugh.

Kiru

:D

I agree with that - but only for the horrendous T/L envelopes. There's nothing intuitive or direct about 'm.

Once you get through the "Edit > Parameter and back again"-routine it's rather simple. It's just that you have to switch back & forth sometimes that sucks. Plus, the CD with the software doesn't do what I want (like, install & things like that).

I've used a CS6x which is pretty much in the same league regarding editing (wide 2-rule character display) - and easier because there are more knobs.

I don't know about Motifs.. what I do know is that the W5 uses its big screen to display the shape of the envelopes. Downside is that it has pre-set envelopes with not that much parameters.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

:D

I agree with that - but only for the horrendous T/L envelopes. There's nothing intuitive or direct about 'm.

Yeah, we used to go round and round on this one a few years back, huh Yooz? I still say that they're not THAT bad, but it is a lot easier to visualize on the XP-60 or XP-80 because the envelopes are graphically displayed on the screen, along with a dotted overlay of the corresponding TVF or TVA of the tone you're working on. The interface on the XP-30 and XP-50 is not as intuitave in just about every operation.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

I just ge mind boggled sometimes wondering through these menus.

Here's another little tip: Instead of entering and exiting "Edit" mode all the time you can press and hold the Shift button along with the cursors to navigate the menus. Don't forget to go up and down...there's important stuff down there.

• Members

Originally posted by brzilian

I know you're a Yamaha freak, but that's just stupid to make comments like that. Saying something is hard or obtuse is just an excuse for not taking the time to learn how it works.

The XP30 is sure as hell alot easier to work with then some of Yamaha's older synths (DX7, SY77).

I'd say in some ways, the XP30 is simpler to work with than my Motif6 which has a huge display.

Um, OK, actually... I used to own an XV-88. I was also fairly competent at using it (and explaining it to other people). I can say that I'm pretty familiar with the interface, and quite frankly, it was "obtuse". Yamaha's aren't much better. But he didn't ask about Yamaha, he asked about Roland, and if he had asked about Yamaha, I probably would have said something pretty similar.

Now that we've established that I do, in fact, know what the hell I'm talking about, could I once again point out that I was, in fact, making a joke... one that everyone else seems to have, if not appreciated, at least not taken exception to. You'll forgive my lack of contrition; I feel like you're targeting me for no good reason and it's kind of pissing me off (well, it would be, if I let internet forums affect my emotional life).

Kiru

Archived