[track] Mynyml

Yoozer

• Members

http://synerjee.deadamerica.org/crap/mynyml.mp3

Kinda big, 15 megs. But finally something again after such a long time... Can't wait until I have some of the jobs here finished to chop the beats and make my own kits (a 1-GB card for the MPC's coming!)

Pad (Virus C) is kinda loud (already noted :) ), rest was muted/unmuted live with the MPC and the 808 kit. FX by 01v. Recording is soft; I'm aware of that. It seems that I have to crank the output up to far in the orange, otherwise it won't work.

• Members

time to post while listening... apologies ahead of time, i'm at work right now and am only allowed one headphone at a time (don't ask), so i'm critiquing the right channel of your track only :D. that said...

the title about says it *grin*. though repetitive, it's got a very solid, nonstale groove. my mom is working on a master's thesis regarding drum circles and therapy, this just made me think of her.. heh. very beautiful hollow sound at 1:20ish, reverb/delay breathes nicely. not too big of a fan of the fm-ish hihat, fits the mix pretty well... i just don't like the sound too much (probably bad memories of midi files on old sound blaster 16's, heh).

hard to critique as what a song "should" be, because you're not coloring inside the lines. i like it because of that. building/adding layers isn't anything particularly new, and nothing i've heard so far (at 5:00 atm) is all that experimental, but it's a very listenable track with enough new stuff that's interesting thrown in along the way to keep it from getting stale. ouch. pads just kicked in, but you already know about those. nice chords, but i wish they were a bit thicker (in all honesty, it's probably the shiatty headphone that i'm listening on right now). i didn't notice exactly when the progression changed/shifted, but it worked very nicely(hitting 8:00).

i take back what i said about not liking the hihat. fits nicely now, and i couldn't imagine something else fitting that part of the pallete.

adding this to my coding playlist.. where's the radio edit? :)

• Members

Nice clean sounding mix Yoozer.

Great to hear some of your work!

I really liked the sounds, especially the stereo panning, bubbly sound (used to great effect as the outro). The level seemed ok to me...

You already mentioned the pad being "loud", but another thing that might be worth experimenting with would be to maybe lower it an octave or, double it with a lower part...but that may just be a symptom of the pads high volume skewing the mix toward the high mids a bit.

So did you sequence this on the MPC? Is it your first track since switching to the MPC?

Anyway, Nice work!

• Members

Okay, my review:

The introduction sounds a lot like a certain Kraftwerk song. I got pretty bored up to 2:30, and thought the worst was over. Well, maybe it was, but I didn't find the climax I was hoping to find; at least not how I pictured it. I was waiting for a killer bass line, a killer lead, and some pounding 4/4.

:)

* my review may be cold because of the heat we've been having. my brain is fried. *

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

I didn't find the climax I was hoping to find; at least not how I pictured it.

agreed. i kind of thought some noise was just going to grow and grow with all sorts of wild sounds in the middle... either big crashing drums and the cacophony of brass (ala radiohead's "the national anthem" kind of thing), or just all sorts of randomness (the cliched sounds of traffic, radios being tuned, swelling strings/pads) but then realized that that wasn't where the track wanted to go. i kept waiting for some kind of big "release," so to speak, but wasn't disapointed by the lack of it. the piece doesn't have a climax, and perhaps isn't meant to. made me (on some relatively material levels) think about how i critique songs -- not just this one alone, but how we judge what a song "should" be. i was waiting for something, because i've been conditioned to think that each piece should have those climb-to and release-from moments.

or maybe i'm just going crazy sitting in a silent lab at night. *snicker*

• Members

hhmm....ok....i listen to a LOT of minimal-techno. yooz, i luv ya, but this just didnt do it for me. when the track began i thought "wow! right up my ally!" but then nothign else happened :( i like the groove (very very very very Plastikman/Richie Hawtin-esque), but unlike Richie, you dont fcuk with us enough. the best part about listening to minimal techno, IMHO, is that it keeps you on your toes, either via timbre or rhythmic strata of some sort. I think it's a nice start, but at the same time i think you can do a lot more with it.

-G

• Members

I like it. Reminds me of some of the newer Jeff Mills minimal stuff. Like something off of Metropolis or LifeLike. I really like long tracks that evolve slowly. I should post some of my older, more minimal tracks. Problem is, I have just under 200 tracks written with fairly obscure titles, so I'll have to search a bit. I'll try and put something up this evening. I don't think there is a better kit to use for minimal tracks than the 808 either. Nice choice. It's soft, but has some oomphffpphh...

• Members

Yes ;).

And I'm really grateful for all your comments :). Thanks a lot!

Either tomorrow or Friday I'll get a 1gb CF card. I'll work my ass off to transfer the complete drumloops / fx collection over to that and use it in my MPC. That way, I can fill out the stuff a bit more and make it more detailed with all kinds of little stuff. Or start a new project altogether :).

Samplers are awesome if they do what you mean...

Archived