Korg Legacy Collection--anyone using it yet?

snod911

• Members

Does anyone out there have it yet? I'd love to hear some unbiased impressions, reviews, etc. I've read everything available, including the rave Future Music review. But I always take commerical reviews with a big grain of salt. Would love to hear from anyone who is actually using this. What host are you using? How's it sound? Performance?

Bueller? :-)

• Members

Squarepusher is touring with two laptops, one running Reaktor, the other running Korg Legacy Collection. You can see the MS-20 USB keyboard sitting atop one of his towering racks.

Catch his show if he comes within 200 miles of your area. :D Granted, I couldn't tell which sounds were Reaktor and which were Korg (bass guitar is obvious), but you'll see a hell of a show, and a controversial, but very talented opening act too (Cassetteboy).

• Members

Originally posted by girevik

Squarepusher is touring with two laptops, one running Reaktor, the other running Korg Legacy Collection. You can see the MS-20 USB keyboard sitting atop one of his towering racks.

hrm. how are you so sure? just curious.

im thinking the ms20 he had with him was a real ms20... and not part of the legacy collection..

the width of the controller that comes with the legacy collection is 18.82".. if you look at the KB atop his 19" rack the sides hang over the edges.. the width of a real ms20 is 22.41" just enough to hang slightly over the sides of a 19" rack case..

sorry for the {censored}e quality pic. my digi cam does horrible in low light.

OH YEA! btw.. great review of the show on my squrpshr concert thread!!

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

hrm. how are you so sure? just curious.

im thinking the ms20 he had with him was a real ms20... and not part of the legacy collection..

the width of the controller that comes with the legacy collection is 18.82".. if you look at the KB atop his 19" rack the sides hang over the edges.. the width of a real ms20 is 22.41" just enough to hang slightly over the sides of a 19" rack case..

sorry for the {censored}e quality pic. my digi cam does horrible in low light.

OH YEA! btw.. great review of the show on my squrpshr concert thread!!

Thanks!

Good points about the MS-20. I thought he was using Korg Legacy because I had read it somewhere... Then I did a search for your thread and realized I had gotten my "info" from that very thread. LOL!!! I couldn't tell whether he ever touched the MS-20 or not because his racks hid him from our view.

I at first thought he was using Ableton Live, then found out about Reaktor and its Live-like performance tool, Scenario, as well as his use of the Axon MIDI converter on both of his bass guitars.

-g

• Members

I've tried it and it's pretty sweet. The analog emulations were great, Polysix is especially fat in the low end, but so are alot of other analog emulations in software these days, so unless your just looking for an MS20 and a Polysix emulation, you can probably find equally good analog emulation in other softsynths.

My favorite by far was the Wavestation, I've always wanted a WS, what an awesome pad machine. It's beautiful.

The Legacy Cell is awesome, the presets are incredible. Bascially what it is a little layering environment with any 2 of the analog synths layered together and routed through FX. There's plenty of assignable faders for tweaking too.

I have mixed feelings about the controller. The knobs have a decent feel, better than I expected. But the mini keys are just {censored}. They feel worse than a cheap Casio. If they would have made it a table top or rack, without the keys it would be a more serious piece of gear.

If you can find a music shop with an employee attentive and intelligent enough to boot up a computer (it may be tough) I recommend trying it out. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

why was it ever retired
:mad:
:mad:
:(

Some keys are stuck and the battery is pretty low. I tried taking it apart a while ago to fix the keys. It just got too cumbersome removing the section that covers the keys:( Call me lazy, I guess.

I'm planning on getting it repaired as soon as I can get the extra cash.

Tuck

• Members

Originally posted by Boom

No it's time to donate it to me. I'll even cover shipping.
;)

LOL!

Having just listened to your noise-track from another thread, I must add that the WS is great for making evolving noise!! :D

My WS isn't used that much either, but I plug it in now and then just to make noise... ;)

Archived