Want to update computer - help

SUPO

• Members

Back when I got into digital recording for PC, I purchased a Gateway 350mghz, had to be a SCSI system with 2 hard drives (one for the operating system, the other for the audio). The soundcard could not be on the motherboard because of conflicts. The CD recorders had to be a specific RPM (10,000 I think). I have 2 CD drives - one for reading, the other for burning. I'm Windows98/Pentium II. I have a seperate soundcard with balanced inputs (via 1/4 jack), stereo out - very high quality and good.

But I'm way behind the 8 ball.

I have no idea what the world is like now. My computer is going to die someday and I feel like I might need to get something. I'm not interested in upgrading the software because it does everything I need (Wavelab 2.0).

How do I handle getting a new computer that can operate the software without problems? Or can I operate it on the new stuff?

Second question, if I say, screw it and get a new system, what do I need - are there limitations like sound cards cant be on motherboards, need a seperate drive for audio/operating system. Last person I want to speak to is a sales rep.

Here's how I operate my business so maybe you can help. I record in stereo to DAT. From the DAT I put it into my Lexicon PCM 91 chained to a CD recorder. I then upload the CD when done into my Wavelab. Do the edits/track the CD, then I burn a master. I upload the master into my Microboards 8800 Duplicator (with a built in hard drive), burn the copies and then hand feed the Rimage for printing.

It's a painfully slow process but back in 1998 I was cutting edge.

What's the best way for me to operate. I don't do anything more than this - no multitrack, no gang runs. I wish Lexicon PCM91 was software based, but, it's not.

Thanks, truly for all those who will take the time and help. I appreciate it more than you know.

Archived