Yamaha CS1X- Opinions(Help Needed)

C. Martin

• Members

Well, there's a few reviews here at HC, but you knew that, right

Yes, I did. But I need the pros and cons. They dont really tell me that.:D

A quick browse around the web says it's designed mostly for electronica/dance. Is that what you're trying to do ?

No, actually, I would use it for it's synth and pad sounds. Does it have those?

Keep the replies comming! :cool:

p120dUdE

• Members

The CS1X is a great synth. My friend just bought a used one @ GC for $269. Well worth it.

Yeah, it's not a Motif. And if you compare it to a Nord Lead, you will be disappointed.

It has the XG soundset. very underrated.

Also, I can't think of a cheaper way to get front panel knobs that access filter cutoff and resonance.

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

its a rompler geared toward dancish type tones.

if somebody offered to give me one for free (if i couldnt sell it in return for $$) i would probably turn it down. there really arent any pros.

as the first rompler that i purchased as an unedumucated high schooler, i must disagree with flukewurm. at least, about turning it down.

i've still got mine, and while it's currently in storage, it worked great for what i used it for. yes, the sounds are primarily geared towards dance/electronica, at least the preset patches are. it was marketed as a "TOTALLY RAD SYNTH" with the word analog scrawled over it even though it's 100% digital, mostly attempting to appeal to hapless teenagers like i was. it worked. ;) there are, however, a LOT of very useable sounds in it. there are some excellent pads, a few suprisingly decent acoustic guitars (a reverb drenched seville that i remember using), your standard xg soundset, some solid bass patches.. few leads. it's honestly a pretty useable board, though very incomparable to anything on the market today. of note, the lone filter isn't very good if you're looking for anything beyond very basic stuff. after sampling/ripping all of the useable sounds on it, i'm finally putting it up for auction on ebay (along with other assorted gear) to pay for an s90 :)

summary... there's a lot of stuff out there that can probably do what you want to do and more, but if handed one for a cheap price, it's certainly got some useable features on it. i used it in two bands as my sole board for several years and was never disapointed, but like i said, it's pretty dated. if you're just looking for a pad machine, seriously consider picking up a wavestation or a tg33 and some good effects processors (some decent reverb at least for those two, say.. a lexicon mpx100?).

• Members

Originally posted by piano39

The CS1X is a great synth. My friend just bought a used one @ GC for $269. Well worth it.

Yeah, it's not a Motif. And if you compare it to a Nord Lead, you will be disappointed.

It has the XG soundset. very underrated.

Also, I can't think of a cheaper way to get front panel knobs that access filter cutoff and resonance.

your friend overpaid, imo. it's not worth more than $150 at best, new. ++ to the control surface though. assignable knobs = thumbs up, but it certainly doesn't deserve the title "control" keyboard (no aftertouch, etc). the two wheels are nice, i loved the scene morph (which they carried over to my baby, the an1x :) ).

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

i just want to note that i
generally
dont like romplers of any kind. in my studio. for my kind of music. it would just be a waste of space.

out of curiosity, checked out your page and your music. not in an attempt to derail the thread, but that's a very nice page layout (the picture linkage). checked out your tracks, saved them to listen again later. really got into two or three of them, some of the others were a bit too, i dunno, something for me. i haven't done much listening to electronic stuff the past year or so, was really refreshing to escape from my industry-infested (whatever and ever amen, kid a, human beings, etc.) playlist for a bit and enjoy some well crafted music (not that the aforementioned aren't). just thought i'd let you know that i really appreciated your tracks.

also, who's the girl in the pictures? ;)

• Members

haha. thanx man. i try. i have mixed feelings about my output - but then again who doesnt. i wont get into that now tho :)

the girl is my sister. she makes a great subject.. but thats pretty obvious :p

btw. ben folds is one of my heros. it doesnt really show in my music. but i think he is the cats pyjamas.

• Members

To answer p120dUdE's original question:

The biggest Pro is that there are some usuable sounds on the CS1x.

The most glaring con is that the CS2x that replaced it is significantly better in all aspects (mainly sound, added control options, and a larger ROM) yet costs only a tiny bit more used. Neither were particularly popular and that's reflected by the used prices but they do make decent controllers. Although they were aimed at making the now passe dance music in the mid to late 90's, you don't HAVE to use it as such, just like you don't HAVE to use an access virus for trance or ebm. Neither the CS1x or 2x have any sort of aftertouch, although whether or not that's an absolute must is arguable.

The piano on the CS1x and 2x really blow chunks. But then again, I have a P120... and so do you. The drum kits are surprisingly usable... the "weird" sounds which you kind of have to dig for are what make the cheap CS's worthwhile. I paid only $240 (tax included) for my CS2x at a guitar center. when you think about it, it's still cheaper than a new Casio and still sounds better.

A notable limitation of the CS1x and 2x is that if you are sequencing, only one Performance patch can be used at a time and it takes up channels 1 through 4. This isn't a big deal if you multitrack to audio.

Hopes this helps some.

• Members

Originally posted by sevensinner

To answer p120dUdE's original question:

The biggest Pro is that there are some usuable sounds on the CS1x.

The most glaring con is that the CS2x that replaced it is significantly better in all aspects (mainly sound, added control options, and a larger ROM) yet costs only a tiny bit more used. Neither were particularly popular and that's reflected by the used prices but they do make decent controllers. Although they were aimed at making the now passe dance music in the mid to late 90's, you don't HAVE to use it as such, just like you don't HAVE to use an access virus for trance or ebm. Neither the CS1x or 2x have any sort of aftertouch, although whether or not that's an absolute must is arguable.

The piano on the CS1x and 2x really blow chunks. But then again, I have a P120... and so do you. The drum kits are surprisingly usable... the "weird" sounds which you kind of have to dig for are what make the cheap CS's worthwhile. I paid only $240 (tax included) for my CS2x at a guitar center. when you think about it, it's still cheaper than a new Casio and still sounds better.

A notable limitation of the CS1x and 2x is that if you are sequencing, only one Performance patch can be used at a time and it takes up channels 1 through 4. This isn't a big deal if you multitrack to audio.

Hopes this helps some.

Wow, thanks sevinsinner:D! Great information. That gave me some ideas now. Im glad that there are some usable presets. It seems like it would be good for me. Ill check it out.

p120dUdE

• Members

Originally posted by p120dUdE

Yes, I did. But I need the pros and cons. They dont really tell me that.
:D

No, actually, I would use it for it's synth and pad sounds. Does it have those?

Keep the replies comming!
:cool:

p120dUdE

hi m8.

i used to have one of these for ages, but sold it about a year ago for a ks5.

it's strongest point is probably the synth & pad sounds. Although, after a couple of years you may find that the synth becomes a little inflexible & most of the sounds you can make start sounding pretty similar to the presets.

its supposed to be 16 part multi-timberal, although if you dont use a computer / sequencer very often, you'll find that you only stick to using it mono-timberal (unless you set up keyboard splits).

I sold mine for

• Members

i have one, i use it mostly for a controller nowadays, but it has a number of really great sounds in the synth and bass area. Also, you can easily edit stuff with it as well and the arpeggiator isn't that bad. Some realistic stuff like piano and strings sound pretty good as well.

All said, for the price they go for now, it's an excellent deal.

But, if you'd read the h-c reviews, you would know that.

• Members

cons

XG set,bad thin keys,4mb rom,not pro enough

pro

easy to edit,knobs for realtime control,Apgrtor,32 poly,can layer,great price,good entry level live synth,cheap,light

if you can get a XG edit sofware or XG sequencer ,you can sequence and do good stuff on computer,

Archived