Modular Synthesis.

• Members
Originally posted by AfroRouge

I guess I don't quite understand why a hard and fast decision to go 1/4", 1/8" or banana needs to be made at all, since converters are out there and stocking different patch cables really isn't that big a pain in the ass compared to some of the other issues with modulars. This seems like a no-brainer to me.

fair point... another reason for my decision to go banana was the larger format of the modules... I have pretty stubby fingers, and a lot of the 1/8" manufacturers modules are comparatively "cramped" in terms of panel space... so that was a factor for me as well...

there's also another factor: Cynthia Webster, the lady behind Cyndustries has been rather approachable, and it seems that if you ask her nicely enough, she's willing to build a Modcan-format panel with banana jacks for any module from the non-banana companies. she has already built Modcan-ized versions of the MOTM Triple Resonator and the Blacet Dark Star, for example. I asked her on the Modcan list, and she said that she would gladly convert a Synthmodules PSIM-1 to Modcan format for me (for those unaware, Synthmodules is another company building Frac-Rac format modules... more info on the PSIM-1 here - it's sold out now, but Brice will be making more in the future)...

that said, many of the manufacturers do indeed have converter panels. Modcan has the Interface module for example, with eight 1/4" jacks and eight banana jacks, allowing you to convert in either direction... I'll be using this to interface the Modcan/Fenix with some of my other gear, such as my MAM RS-3 and Korg SDD-3300...

another note: I would have been very tempted to go Wiard/Blacet if it were not for the relative rarity of Wiard 300-series modules these days... that said, if cash allows, I may still very well pick up a used Wiard system in the future... but I'm sure the Fenix, Modcan and Cynthia will keep me plenty busy for now ;)

• Members

I'd love to build a modular, and im sure one day i will
So far im most attracted to modcan, but no company is the obvious "Best" for modulars, so I'll prob mix and match.
One thing that irratates me is that most filters only have CV for the cutoff and not resonance :mad:
Of course, and its really no surprise, im very tempted to go Roland... either system100 or system100m

Of course my main software is the Arturia modular, which i think is the finest sounding digital synth engine to date (ya, even more so than my D-50) It's just about the right size to be big enough to do what you want most times, but not be too over the top
It would be cool if you could choose modules for it like a plugin format.

Do most people use two or three osc's for their system?

i think my system would be fairly simple with 3 osc's, two filters, but a bunch of envelopes and lfo's

Archived