Choosing a midi controller

Nuppu

• Members

Hi, I'm a new guy here, and also new to synths'n'stuff. A guitarist, actually.

My plan is:

1.To find a good midi controller that will last. I would just use it to learn about stuff for the starters i.e. to hook it to my computer, get somekind of a sequencer

2.When I have money, get a XV2020 etc. to improve the sounds

And I have couple of questions:

1. M-Audio Radium61 or Evolution Mk461c? Or some other? Why?

Pros&cons?

2.I have a Roland PMA5 which can be used as a sound module. How could I take the most advantage out of it? Anyone interested buying it?:D

3.What would be a good sequencer to start with? User friendly..

4.Are there any limitations if I use Controller+XV2020 compared to if I'd get a synt with keys? I'm not planning to use this combo live, I play guitar in live settings. So just for composing.

• Members

Howdy!

1. I have that Evolution and couldn't be happier. Good feel, assignable knobs, easy to use, etc. Don't have experience with the former.

2. Not familiar.

3. Fruity Loops.

4. The advantage would be the organization, or lack thereof. On a dedicated board, you have lots of specialized knobs and buttons and there is no fumbling with assigning functions, and so forth. Still, you can do a lot with a computer editor and a controller with assignable keys. For a studio setting, a controller and module setup works fine.

Good luck! :)

• Members

I really dont like the feel of these new midi controllers coming out.

They feel like cheap pieces of plastic you get from toys r us. I believe studiologic makes some good controllers but they are pricey....Korg seems to have a pretty cool one out, its got percussion pads and lots of knobs and sliders.

• Members

1) I don't really care for either. Try the Edirol PCR-80 if you can. You might want to wait till the Novation remote 49 and 61 come out as well.

2) The PMA-5 was a neat PDA sequecner sound module. You can hook up a keyboard to it. Functionally and sonically, it's like an early Sound Canvas.

3) Cheapest midi sequencers would be Jazz++ or Rosegarden. Not necessarily easy to use though. Popular affordable ones that can be bought pretty much anywhere include Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 and Cubase SE. There are others that I can't think of off the top of my head. There is Fruityloops as mentioned above but that might not be what you're looking to do.

4) For what you're doing you should be fine.

• Members

I have a very similar question.

Right now I own an Alesis QSR and I'm really quite pleased with it. However, I need a good controller as I feel I have long since outgrown the cheesly Yamaha PSR400 that I'm using as my controller right now.

Ideally I would like to pick up another Synth, that will double up as the controller for my QSR. I like the price of the new Allesis 8.2, but I fear that the sound set will be almost identical to the QSR I own at present.

If money were no object the Korg Triton Extreme would be my ideal choice, but, at around 3k the 88-key version is a bit steep for my budget.

So, here, at last, is my question.

I'm looking for a good synth/controller in around the $1500.00 range. I'd like at least 76 weighted keys.

I know that there's probably tons of opinions, but, could some of you guys give me some ideas of what to look at.

Thanks a bunch,

Perry

• Members

Moikka, Nuppu!

1. Edirol PCR-80 (more control, memories)

2. :confused:

3. FLStudio Fruity Loops, PowerTracks Pro Audio

4. Controller + modules is better solution for homestudio because you can upgrade it by adding more modules and have many different sounds.

Archived