what do you think of NI kompatk ??

• Members

its a sampler. if you want pro sounds put in pro samples... but.. wait.. what does pro mean anyways? that word is so vague. if youre good enough you can make any instrument sound 'pro'.

its not about the tools as much as its about the talent.

kompakt makes a good tool.

• Members

I dunno what he means by "pro sounding" either...

but Kompakt is essentially a stripped down, version of Kontakt and comes with a pretty good sounding set of sample discs. The editing capabilites of Kompakt aren't anywhere near as extensive as Kontakt's, but for many people who don't really want to do patch editing, it works well.

Native Instrument's website has sound clips of all their products, so you can get a good idea what what can be done with the software.

Native Instruments website (for those who couldn't figure it out)

• Members

Originally posted by chick korea

thanx guys .......

well... if it sounds better than a korg fantom x or korgextreme..

or same.....

It sounds like whatever samples you load into it. If you load "pro sounding" samples it wil sound "pro sounding". It's a pretty good interface for the money.

• Members

I bought Kompakt a few months ago because it was so cheap ($199 Canadian).

It comes with some very impressive sounds, 2 GB worth. The app is stable,but to use somel of the Multi patches, you're gonna need to be able to let it have 500+ Megs of RAM. If you dont have over 512 of RAM already, get the RAM before you buy it.

It imports Kontakt,Giga and EXS24 patches/sounds without a hitch. For Akai sounds, I've been using CDXtract to convert them.

It works great with Logic and Nuendo (Mac), but does not play well with VSTi shell/host apps for using with older software. Not at all. And I've had trouble with the DFD extension, as have many people on Mac OS9 and X,both this product and Kontakt.

NI online tech support is slow , some might say unacceptably slow. The NI product forums for Kompakt are almost useless. The installer has a few bugs. The manual is sketchy and rather brief.

But, it's cheap, great sound quality, and I think a nice intro into the world of software samplers. Despite the problems with the DFD and tech support, I dont regret buying it.

Had it cost, say, $500+, I might not be so willing to overlook some of it's shortcomings.

Archived