any of you guys make commercials for nike or toyota or etc.???

• Members

i haven't done Nike or Toyota but i did work on a number of Adidas ads in the past. also, stuff for Mitsubishi, Pepsi, Guinness and number of other decent campaigns.

keep in mind that the music writers don't work directly for these companies at all. not even close. for example, i worked for a music company that was hired by an ad agency that was hired by one of these corporation's marketing divisions. everything goes through a lot of hands before it gets released.

a lot of companies also buy or license music from companies called "Music Libraries" or "Production Music". there are million ways to answer this question. basically it involves a lot of legal matters, contracts, rights management, and corporate business type stuff.

currently i am doing some library work. basically i write a collection of songs and make a full version , a 60 second version, a 30, a 10, and a 5. this would be part of a "Library". people pay a license fee to use them in t.v., video, movies, etc. depending on the way they intend to use it the price and contract can vary significantly. other times someone will have me produce a track for a specific project.

it's a very hard business to get into. you will never find a "Help Wanted" ad for anything like this. i fell ass backwards into it by pure luck. i got an internship at one of these companies doing web design of all things. one day the boss asked me to post an ad to a newsgroup seeking a computer-based musician because the guy there was leaving the country. i said "ya know, i do this stuff." he said "ok, give it a shot."

my first project was music for a 1 hour documentary on Polar Bears. keep in mind though that much of the music you hear in t.v. commercials is library music. you could look into starting a Production Library. write a bunch of songs and sell the licensing rights.

• Members

yeah it was great, up to a point. one day we showed up for work and the place was EMPTY. the owners picked up and left the country. they owed us all a decent amount of money and they owed the landlord about $200,000 in rent. we were operating on a 20,000 sq foot floor in the heart of Manhattan's "Silicon Alley".

we all kind of went off on our own to do other things. i'm making sample CDs mostly. another guy got himself a contract making ringtones for a cellphone company. it's really a matter of knowing someone. another interesting route to look into is post-production. you could get a minimum wage job as a runner in a post studio fairly easily and work your up. that's kind of the way it goes in that field.

• Members

yea the thing is that a have a familie member that

made comercial for toyota honda nike and other

dont see him very much now ........

i was wondering how good hes become to do the commercials

for those companies.???? or .... a lot of people do

t.v comercials for them.. and maybe its not that big a deal.???

and how much do they pay for a t.v add??( music part)

jut curios,,,,

• Members

If you care about the money, traffic drugs. It would probably pay fair, but I doubt Nike or Toyota would directly ask you to write music. More likely, the production company in charge of putting together the ad will either scout for musicians or contact those who have consistently produced good work, done so in a timely manner, and from whom they can expect uniqueness or whatever the project calls for.

• Members

its just luck, knowing people who know people and being at the right place at the right time. later, if youre good, word of mouth helps, but not always.

i did so-so in this market for yrs, then last year i run into a friend i havent seen in years. we hanged out after high school - chasing girls, drinking etc. it turns out he's a creative director of two ad agencies, and a corporate film director to boot. He just made a few calls..

no big names yet, it's all local companies for radio/tv. i get one or two jobs a month, but it's fast work and pays well.

i wish i called him a few yrs sooner.:rolleyes:

• Members

When Shynola made the add for Nike they were given free creative reign. Aswell as being given an outright fee they were also able to charge $500 per word used in the add if the spoke in the add themselves - which they did, they crammed in as many words as they could, obviously.

In advertising there is often absolutely silly money invovled, especially if you are recognised as having a distinctive style, which shynola are.

Archived