My first remix

• Members

For an industrial band called Aslan Faction. I think they are German, but I'm not sure. Anyway they asked fans to remix a song called Weep For Me so I gave it a shot. If they like it they're going to include it on their next cd, or so they say. Here is my version. Scroll down to another post I made for the original version. Compare and contrast.

Weep For Me

• Members

Pretty good. It's hard to evaluate because I don't know what you have added to it, but I liked it. I start disliking it around 42 seconds: too trancy/dancy. I think around 1:04-1:06 there is a timing problem, but I could be wrong.

Let us know if you become an industrial star! :)

• Members

alright....so i just did an A vs. B with your remix.

First things first, not a big fan of industrial music, and to be honest, didnt' really care for the original track.

with that being said, i LOVED the first 45" of your remix. But then i didnt like it from then on. like scub, i found it too dancy, or in my own words, cheezy. I also heard the timing problem (so you're not crazy, scub!)

I mean....after hearing the intro, I thought i was going to be in for this megadark and kickmyass remix. but then that trancesynth came in and i was like "what the.....". The intro is so strong and wellcrafted, that the rest of it just is dull in comparison. Sounds like you put more time into the beginning.

did i mention i liked the intro? ;)

just my opinion of course. :)

-G

• Members

Originally posted by Deckard

But the "trancesynth" is in the original.

:eek: :eek:

damn......goes to show how much i didnt like the original :D

then take out the trancesynth!! make yours stand apart from everyone elses!!!! :D

BE BOLD AND BRAVE!!!!

-G

• Members

the remix sounds better than the original heh.

i agree though the "trancesynth" sounds a little out of place. maybe if it was mixed in a little differently or some effects were used on it, it might sound a little smoother

• Members

For the remix I used Digital Performer. The band provided midi (all on one track so if you wanted to use it you had to pick out the data, kinda tricky) and audio of the major parts. I rewrote the kick sequences for the most part, used the Novation KS4 and Waldorf MicroQ for the parts I added or changed and added some samples. I left some audio unchanged (the "trancesynth" that everyone dislikes) but put some serious effects on other audio.

But after realizing the problems with the remix that you guys pointed out I withdrew the track. I didn't even see the major issues it had until I got some second opinions. If it wasn't already past the deadline I'd work on it some more and send it back in. But hey, it was my first go at it. Could have been worse. Although "cheezy" is pretty bad. LOL.

• Members

FWIW, I thought it was a good effort. It was good to hear some material from you. The main question is:

DID YOU LIKE IT?

Confidence in your own material is key. I know it can be tough. Any artist is going to struggle with this, but a childlike innocent appoach to criticizing your own stuff will keep your jaded ears from always measuring your stuff with a "not good enough" stick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a blind "yo, my {censored} is da bomb" approach either. But sometimes you gotta let your wang hang out and look down and say "yeah, this will get the job done".

I'm preaching to myself as much as anyone here, as there are times when I feel very discouraged too. But at the end of the day, I write stuff for me...

...not a bunch of internet forum wankers (:)).

So having said that, yeah your remix was fine. If it wasn't the remix someone else would have done, GREAT, you have a style unique to yourself.

How many times have you played and album that you know for a fact is a masterpiece for somebody only to have them turn to you and say "uhhh, yeah...but wheres the TALENT here dude". It happened to me often enough that I quit playing music for friends, because I would end up thinking less of them because they failed to grasp the genius of a particular peice.

....am I rambling?

I hope this is coherent enough to get some sort of point across.

• Members

No Sinner, you're making sense. I did like it, but I think I let the other opinions get to me. Actually, it was more like I never quite felt it was "perfect" so any faults pointed out exploited that insecurity. But you're right about one thing, and you put it so succinctly, sometimes you gotta let your wang hang out and say "this'll get the job done". Love that line.

No hard feelings toward any who expressed their views, none whatsoever. But I'm always insecure about anything I write. That's on me, and I've loosened up a bit about it in the last few years. But still, when you put your wang out there, you're always afraid it ain't gonna get the job done.

In the end here I just remind myself that I followed through with it, I did it, I'm going to be happy enough with that.

• Members

I didn't exactly hear the earlier timing problem, but there's definately something going wrong around 2.20 with the blips, and around 3.30 with the (dare I make an uneducated guess) - Q preset w/ arpeggiator? :D.

The extra vocal samples are a nice touch, though.

• Members

Originally posted by Deckard

Man, the guy with his first keyboard recording ever got props for it and mine sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Balls.

Since this is a remix, you can blame the "sucking" on the original artist. ;) I have to agree with scoobs about that trancedance lead sound. It sucks!

Moreover, industrial ain't my thang so that's also plays a big role. But to be fair, I think the problem here is that the original sucks, so its hard to polish that turd, unless you make it into something unrecognizable.

*cue Good Will Hunting*

"It's not your fault..........it's not your fault...........it's not your fault........it's not your fault............its's not your fault....."

Peace

Archived