Kurzweil PC1X any good?

enb141

• Members

I've played a PC1X briefly and the keys did not make an impression on me one way or the other. They certainly aren't bad enough to disqualify the board from consideration unless you are looking at it as your only controller and specifically need the best possible action over the best overall board.

The sounds in the PC1X are the same as the PC2X, and it sounds great.

• Members

That means that Kurzweil hires Fatar for produce it's keys, the rest is made (I guess) for Kurzweil.

Hey Guys what's better PC1X or PC2X?

Yes Radiscape I'm comparing controllers for general use, I have an SP88X but the only thing that I don't like is the lack of After Touch.

• Members

Originally posted by enb141

That means that Kurzweil hires Fatar for produce it's keys, the rest is made (I guess) for Kurzweil.

Hey Guys what's better PC1X or PC2X?

Yes Radiscape I'm comparing controllers for general use, I have an SP88X but the only thing that I don't like is the lack of After Touch.

Well, the PC1x is a "slim down" version of the PC2x. It has most of the same sounds, including Kurzweils Triple Strike Grand Piano. It does not have "KB3" mode that the PC2x has, but it has organ presets. I have heard the synths are ok.

The action and key feel is lighter than the PC2x, but heavier than the 76 key PC2. It is Fatar action, so not very reliable. The weights probably break off easily.

And when you ask whats better, I really cant answer. It is kind of a broad question. What do you want to know that is better about it? Just specify that, an I can help. Just a tip:)

p120dUdE

Owner, West Brook Music Studio

• Members

so not very reliable. The weights probably break off easily.

BREAK OFF???

not to hijack the thread but...

where did you get this info?

[sarcasm] oohh I better not play my Fatar Sl880 anymore after 6 years without problems because the weights will break off [/sarcasm]

I have heard about the occiasional 'clacking' problem, where the (felt?) part that 'catches' the key when it is fully depressed would come off or become 'hard'

Roald

Owner, Lingbeek Music Studio

**The Fatar key action is the bomb! It is superb! Thank you Fatar!**

• Members

And when you ask whats better, I really cant answer. It is kind of a broad question. What do you want to know that is better about it? Just specify that, an I can help. Just a tip

Which one is better for a controller and which one has better (more realistic, better quality) keys?

• Members

Originally posted by Roald

BREAK OFF???

not to hijack the thread but...

where did you get this info?

[sarcasm] oohh I better not play my Fatar Sl880 anymore after 6 years without problems because the weights will break off [/sarcasm]

I have heard about the occiasional 'clacking' problem, where the (felt?) part that 'catches' the key when it is fully depressed would come off or become 'hard'

Roald

Owner, Lingbeek Music Studio

**The Fatar key action is the bomb! It is superb! Thank you Fatar!**

Jeez, chill out there. My friend had one and some weights broke off . From personal experience, I was in a music store and one of the keys cracked. Then, it did not feel weighted, so it just so happended the weight fell off. Sorry if I offended you.

Nice Signature.....Wonder where you got the idea from.

p120dUdE

• Members

For the mere fact that Kurzweil products are normally more expensive when compared to other manufaturers and with so many complaints about there keybed, you'd think that bu now they'd try to do something about it.

I have heard too numerous complaints about their keybed for it to be just evil persons bad mouthing their products. Yet their products seems to sell anyway and even I myself have owned a PC2 in the past.

Maybe it doesn't bother them or they don't really care or a case of not being influenced by public opinion. However it would be nice if they could come up with a keybed comparable to that of Yamaha P series and Motif 8 for at least their stage pianos.

Maybe they should get rid of Fatar and hire Yamaha to make their keybed :D Doesn't Yamaha make keybeds for some of Korg's synths.

Hey it's just a thought:D

• Members

I'm thinking of going back to the Kurzweil. After a four hour gig my tendons really get sore with the P series. Also, the P120 and the P90 do not have as much high frequencies in their samples as the PC2 triple strike.

• Members

For the mere fact that Kurzweil products are normally more expensive when compared to other manufaturers and with so many complaints about there keybed, you'd think that bu now they'd try to do something about it.

I have heard too numerous complaints about their keybed for it to be just evil persons bad mouthing their products. Yet their products seems to sell anyway and even I myself have owned a PC2 in the past.

Maybe it doesn't bother them or they don't really care or a case of not being influenced by public opinion. However it would be nice if they could come up with a keybed comparable to that of Yamaha P series and Motif 8 for at least their stage pianos.

Maybe they should get rid of Fatar and hire Yamaha to make their keybed :D Doesn't Yamaha make keybeds for some of Korg's synths.

Hey it's just a thought:D

• Members

Well, in my opinion, Kurzweil's award winning "Triple Strike Piano" is not award winning at all. I know, I know, alot of people will disagree, and that's ok. But I would not follow what other people say about how great Kurweils piano is. You have to go try it yourself.

Their action does not give great dynamics. They are not hammer action, they are just weighted. Yes, I have tried them.

I do not know where they sample their piano from, and I probably dont want to know. It is weird sounding(IMO, IMO)

Try them out yourself. Kurzweil's actions are light, in fact, very light and flimsy. Therefore, they do not give good dynamics.

People who say that Kurzweils pianos are better than Yamaha's obviosly havent heard a Yamaha piano sound. Yamaha Beats Kurzweils in every single way, no matter what anyone says. Yes, this is my opinion.

Rintincop, the Yamaha p120 beats the Kurzweil for piano and action in every way, period.

p120dUdE

**Everything I say and answer are all my opinion. They come from what I believe**

• Members

I don't care about which brand sounds better or has better sounds/presets, I'm just asking for which one has better KEYS the rest I don't care bacause I just wanna know which one is better for main controller.

• Members

Originally posted by enb141

I don't care about which brand sounds better or has better sounds/presets, I'm just asking for which one has better KEYS the rest I don't care bacause I just wanna know which one is better for main controller.

Well, if all you want is a controller, then why did you ask about these 2 kurzweils? These are synths with sounds. If you want a controller, I would suggest maybe the M-Audio 88 key USB controller comming out soon. It has weighted hammer action and no preset sounds, you have to buy a module or hook it to a computer. Thats what I suggest.

And as I said in my ealier posts, the Fatar action is not very reliable. It cracks and breaks sometimes.

p120dUdE

• Members

Originally posted by p120dUdE

Rintincop, the Yamaha p120 beats the Kurzweil for piano and action in every way, period.

I don't mean to hijack/start a war, but even inserting "this is my opinion" every other sentence doesn't make saying something like this not sound like you mean it as an absolute. Saying "I greatly prefer the action/sound of the yamaha to the kurzweil" is a lot less authoritative sounding, especially on such a subjective topic. If it was a crappy old psr-400 or something, I wouldn't have a problem with the "in every way, period." *shrugs* Just a random aside.

Originally posted by p120dUdE

the Fatar action is not very reliable. It cracks and breaks sometimes.

I'm pretty sure you could say this about every keyboard/brand/etc. My knowledge on that company is relatively small, so excuse me if I'm overlooking something.. Unless there's a recall, or an industry-wide acknowledgement of something breaking (ie. a lot of early cs1x's had a structural flaw where their back left corner would crack and break under little pressure), spreading (dis)information about a brand only serves to polarize and prevent people from trying new stuff out. I've seen a couple of Yamaha's synth action keyboards where all of the keys are sitting at different heights, have different traveldepths, etc. because of play/use, but I don't go around saying that they're unreliable.

I'm not trying to pick on you p120, honestly :) Just pointing out a few thoughts I had... hope you're enjoying the 1x :)

gobo j

• Members

I don't have money for buy a Kurzweil PC1X or PC2x or M-Audio one (I'll have to wait 'till I save enough money) but that's not the case, in this thread I just was trying to get informed about which one of those are better.

Well, if all you want is a controller, then why did you ask about these 2 kurzweils? These are synths with sounds. If you want a controller, I would suggest maybe the M-Audio 88 key USB controller comming out soon. It has weighted hammer action and no preset sounds, you have to buy a module or hook it to a computer. Thats what I suggest.

Thanks anyway.

My favourite Piano action 'till now is the kawai 9500 but unfortunelly it doesn't has after touch.

• Members

The answer to this question can best be answered by a technician who works on keyboards everyday. In our city all the keyboard technicians say they have more repair business from Kurzweil than all the rest combined. One of our stores sells, Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Kurzweil. All it takes is one look in the repair department and you see it is lined up with Kurzweil keyboards waiting for repair. The problem is in the key contacts mostly. When the contacts wear out most keyboard players tend to play much harder trying to get contact to produce sound and

wind up breaking keys off in the process. It is in weighted keyboards as well as unweighted. My preference is the Roland A-90 or RD-700 but like the Yamaha P series sound better.

I grew up playing accoustic pianos so the heavier Roland feels closer to me. The Kurzweil has the lightest touch of the big four weighted keyboards. Hope this helps.

88keyplayer

Archived