Ways to Identfying IP addresses?

• Members

I have a pest who is 'trolling' around in our band's guestbook. I don't have administrator privlledges to see if an IP address gets recorded if someone posts to our guestbook. Does anyone know other methods where I can identify an IP address from someone who logged a post. Whoever it is, I'll bet they aren't very computer savy. I doubt they took any effort to mask their identity.

• Members

If you don't have access to the webserver logs, but you DO have control over the files, you can put an invisible image into the guestbook posting page that's hosted on a server you CAN see the logs for. Cross reference timestamps of requests for the invisible image (called a "bug" in the biz) with the times of offensive posts, and you can determine the sucker's IP address. Easy peasy.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

...I just be able to see that the IP address belongs to X-ISP in X City and state and my work will be done.

:D

Doing an nslookup on the IP will provide pretty vague information.

but it will tell you who the service provider is. You can then send them an email (most likely abuse@whateverISP.com) and they could help you further.

My first job was internet tech support :)

Archived