OT: Movie you thought were bombs that actually made money.

• Members

I'm not sure how many of you are HUGE movie buffs like me. I love movies, but I love the business behind movies even more. I was just on Box Office Mojo and three movies that were clearly declared 'bombs' but the press actually made {censored}loads overseas

The Last Samurai WB Worldwide Gross $454.6

US Take$111.1 24.4%

Intn'l $343.5 75.6%

Cost to make: $140 Mil

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines WB Worldwide Gross$433.4

US take $150.4 34.7%

Intern'l $283.0 65.3%

Cost to make: $200 Mil

The Hulk Uni. Worldwide Gross$245.3

US Take:$132.2 53.9%

Int'l $113.1 46.1%

Cost to make: $132Mil

Now none of this means that any of these movies made a dime in profit. You have marketing costs, actor's percentage, distribution...etc. But it's interesting to see a movie like Terminator 3 that was clearly labeled a disappointment last summer when it barely grossed $150 mil in US sales actually beat a blockbuster like X2 which grossed over $200 million domestically but didn't make as much overseas.

I know I need a new hobby. :D

• Members

Hey Wheresgrant3

I like the movies. I used to be really into them to the extent of wanting to be a director/writer or - when I was even younger - a stuntman.

However as the Movie + Marketing thing really took hold I just became indifferent to it.

I still like films very much but I tend to be very fussy. These days I sort of watch films that strike me as having an interesting theme or notion behind them. Something like BigFish or Memento etc. Or I enjoy a particular directors work so I look out for their next project.

With DVDs it's now great to buy older films like the Ealing Comedies - which are just a joy. If you ever want to learn how to write or develop characterisation, then these are a great source for learning, they're funny, and often come with a great central hook to the narrative, such as Passport to Pimlico - which is just class.

However as big budget movies go it all seems so futile. The big studios basically see who can piss the furthest - but need to drink gallons to accomplish it. Why?

Still that said I'm always happy to talk films with you if you want.

Cheers

Loreman

• Members

I think it's hard to judge how good a movie really is, in this age of 6' HDTV's and DVD's. More often, I'm willing to wait until a film is out on DVD to avoid the crowds, the apathetic cinema managers, the ridiculous concession prices, the cheap, mass-produced film reels that often break, and the noisy little {censored}s [not just kids] who talk throughout, or otherwise disrupt the enjoyment of the whole cinema experience.

There was a time that I looked forward to going to the movies. Now I rarely go, unless it's something I'm really hyped about seeing.

...And Loreman, you're in a whole other class of cinema. I don't have a clue what films you're talking about. But then, the only films widely distributed in the US are those assured of making someone richer. ;) Sounds interesting though.

• Members

Originally posted by D'Traveler

...And Loreman, you're in a whole other class of cinema. I don't have a clue what films you're talking about. But then, the only films widely distributed in the US are those assured of making someone richer.
;)
Sounds interesting though.

:D My bad Dimensional Traveler...

They're quintessentially British films from the 40s and 50s . I just like them because they're so well crafted without being so ostentatious... If you have the chance give 'em a go, but I guess its not for everybody. Actually I think there's going to be a remake of the real master of them "The Ladykillers" With Tom Hanks starring. Not sure why they feel this is necessary but there you go.

Like you, I too would rather wait for the DVD. Unless it's something spectacular like Matrix or Sleepy Hollow, where the whole cineamtic experience comes into play - but otherwise there's just too much pre-release hype that you pretty much know what happens before you go and see it.

Chances are its the same old plot with the same old faces (y'know big box office draw actors - who really only play themselves anyway) and the whole experience is pretty much empty.

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't rekindle my dream of becoming a director but its so difficult here in the UK and I don't have the energy anymore.

Hoh hum.

I supoose if anything that's to be admired, the fact that these guys can stick a production out from beginning to end.

Loreman

• Members

Originally posted by Loreman

They're quintessentially British films from the 40s and 50s . I just like them because they're so well crafted without being so ostentatious... If you have the chance give 'em a go, but I guess its not for everybody.

Ah, well I just may... I'm becoming increasingly bored with the crap that Hollywood's churning out these days.

And as you were the one who turned me on to Mark Shreeve's music, well, I tend to trust your judgment. :)

• Members

Originally posted by the_resonator

if you take a trek over to Austin, D'Traveler, Vulcan Video usually has at least a few films or similar ones.

Roger Willco, I'll look them up on my next Austin trip. I'm just starting to assemble a library of movies and concerts on DVD, and every source I know of has all the same Columbia House/Wal-Mart budget crapola.

• Members

Originally posted by the_resonator

nah, they are available here.

loreman, have you heard of Karaoke/Cold Lazarus?

I just saw that a few months ago, speaking of british films that kick ass.

No I haven't Res', but I'll have a lookout for them.

Although I went through a phase of watching loadsa indy films with a gang of friends and there's a good chance that in the thick of women, beer and song some titles may have passed me by, and I may well have seen 'em.

I usually don't let that happen but when there's a regular bunch of you, there's nothing worse than being the div who yells at everyone to "Sit the FEK down!" because I wanna see who composed the score! ;)

Just not cool man.... So I relaxed my principals a little.

Cheers

Loreman

• Members

Originally posted by D'Traveler

Ah, well I just may... I'm becoming increasingly bored with the crap that Hollywood's churning out these days.

And as you were the one who turned me on to Mark Shreeve's music, well, I tend to trust your judgment.
:)

Oh right... You went and gave old Mark Shreeve a listen. Great!

I tell you that guy owes me - I've been mentioning him to people since 1985 !

He's recently teamed up with a fella called Ian Body and the've formed a band called ARC - Interesting stuff just a little less ambient than Redshift but along those lines.

http://www.redshreeve.republika.pl

Did I pass on this link before D.T. ? If not you may like what's in his studio.

Cheers

Loreman

• Members

Originally posted by Loreman

Oh right... You went and gave old Mark Shreeve a listen. Great!

I tell you that guy owes me - I've been mentioning him to people since 1985 !

He's recently teamed up with a fella called Ian Body and the've formed a band called ARC - Interesting stuff just a little less ambient than Redshift but along those lines.

Did I pass on this link before D.T. ? If not you may like what's in his studio.

Cheers

Loreman

You've posted this link before, but I'd lost it. Thanks!

• Members

Redshift! I downlaoded a couple of tracks by them a few

years back which I still have. I check them out.

On movies, check these lists out and see the crap which has made millions!

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross?region=non-us

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross?region=world-wide

...off to check out some Redshift....

Mike.

• Members

Radiospace,

Sorry for the late response... traveling on the road.

I used to pay attention to HSX. It was fun when I had the time, but I haven't been there in 2 or 3 years.

Loreman...

My interest in movie business/marketing has nothing to do with my taste in movies. In fact I usually pay attention to movies I hate b/c they are marketed to such a wide audience. Fact it... studios (especially the top 5) are in business to make $$$. They invest in lots of films b/c some are a gamble if they are to make money.... others they are completely dependent on making money, just to cover the losses from the remaining films. It's all a numbers game. I think it's facinating that a 'little' film like 'The Passion of Christ' which was made for $25 million (the cost of some TV movies these days) was passed up by 20th Century, Paramount, and Universal, yet little New Market films (which spent their entire annual budget marketing the film) helped carry the toarch to the tune of $550 million dollars worldwide. These guys helped to make Mel Gibson a very rich man. Well far richer than he was two years ago.

• Members

the movie with ben affleck and samual L jackson where they {censored} with eachother on the road. I forget what it was called but it was the lamest movie I have ever scene.

and the one with bruce willis and samual L jackson (I actually like samual L jackson, weird) where bruce willis is a super here, and sammy ends up being "glassman" his arch nemesis!!! LAME {censored}ing movie.

• Members

wheresgrant3

I have to admit that aspect of the cinema is too abstract for me. I just can't relate to some of those figures these films cost or make. The idea that a million here or a million there isn't enough to make a film a success leaves my head spinning!

But I can understand your interest in it... I guess it's a little like gambling or watching the stock exchange.... Maybe

..and yep those TV movie budgets are bigger than most British FILM budgets. I was watching the DVD extras of Angel the other day and they mentioned how just one episode cost 8 million to make! That's incredible! and I imagine not the most expensive show to produce. Mind you it's all there on the screen, the production costs are evident, its just amaizing how demanding the audience has become I guess.

Cheers

Loreman

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

the movie with ben affleck and samual L jackson where they {censored} with eachother on the road. I forget what it was called but it was the lamest movie I have ever scene.

and the one with bruce willis and samual L jackson (I actually like samual L jackson, weird) where bruce willis is a super here, and sammy ends up being "glassman" his arch nemesis!!! LAME {censored}ing movie.

He,he. I like Samuel L too, but yeah he makes some rubbish. He's currently on British TV doing Barclays Bank commercials, in which he's slowly developing a really perculiar walk :eek:

The second film you mentioned is Unbreakable - I didn't see the point of that either, a little lame. Done by the same guy who did The 6th Sense : M.Night Shayamalan

As for the Ben Affleck one, can't remember. I dunno why but I just can't be bothered with a film that has Ben Affleck in it. Something about the guy just makes me not want to see his films.

Which is terribly really I don't like being put off by one actor, and I don't dislike the guy particularly, I'm sure he's a fair enough bloke, but he's just non-discript.

Loreman

• Members

Originally posted by mike65

Changing Lanes is the movie no-one can remember the name of!

Mike.

thats it. And that movie actually made me decide to never EVER watch a movie in the theaters again.

here of course is why. In the commercials of changing lanes, there is a scene where ben and sammy are fighting in a room, and they actually go through a window and onto deck which is about 10 stories up. They make it look like one, if not both fall off. OF {censored}ING COURSE THIS SCENE WAS NOT IN THE {censored}ING MOVIE!!!

and this is was not the first time this has happend.

When the movie ended with that GOD awful ending. I literally stood up and said "WHAT THE {censored}!" at the top of my lungs :o

that scene made me want to see it, but no! they had to {censored} it up with a happy/sappy ending.

• Members

Originally posted by Deckard

Lord of the Rings anyone? Think you missed the big one here.

Don't think we missed anything. The point of the thread were "bombs that actually made money", not "Huge hits that... well, made lots of money too.";)

Archived