OT: WinXP experts? Scandisk under Win XP not performing

• Members

My rig is a P-IV 2.5GHz, with 1 GB Ram and two 80 GB drives. For the past several weeks I have been unable to run ScanDisk on my C drive. I have it schedule for once a week and I just discovered that the program itself could not start. When I try to run scan disck manually the program launches, but nothing seems to happen. In addition it seems to use almost 100% of my CPU power in trying to do so. I am still able to analyze and defrag my partition volumes but for some reason scan disk just won't run properly.

• Members

xp doesn't have scandisk. it's called checkdisk there.

go to start > execute (or whatever the Dos-prompt thingie is translated in) > type "cmd" and press enter > type "chkdsk" > press enter

the program now starts to check the disk.

if you want it to fix any faults type "chkdsk /f " instead. it will then ask you if you want to run checkdisk at next startup > press y and enter > restart the computer

• Members

chkdsk will also have problems if you've got any kidn of file system monitoring going on... a lot of dell/gateways/compaqs/etc. all have some kind of system restore software that constantly writes backups to disk. any "go back" software should be disabled before running it. a lot of virus checkers also will either slow down or disable it from working properly, and come bundled with their own utilities. if you've got a norton package or something similar, you might consult your documentation for that and see if it's got something built in.

• Members

XP takes care of disk checking and consistency, no need to run chkdisk.

Clean disk verifies the disk space it could gain when older files would be compressed. This takes easily more than 20 minutes consuming all CPU time. Patience is a nice virtue.

• Members

Originally posted by fqr

XP takes care of disk checking and consistency, no need to run chkdisk.

I think not! I still get lost file fragments etc on my NTFS partitions just like in the FAT16 & 32 days!

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Yeah, disk cleanup I meant.

I'll try it that way and see if it completes.

my post might have come across a little whizeass... i didn't read very far past the thread title :)

so did my suggestion work anyway?

• Members

ok, so you meant disk cleanup?? :D

everybody's a little :confused:

have you tried running it (disk cleanup) in safe mode?

start > execute > msconfig > diagnostic startup

don't know if it'll do any good, but it's worth a try...

• Members

All you need to do is right click the my computer icon, select manage, open up the storage drop down, then click disk defragmenter. From there you can select which disk you want to defrag and tell it to either analyze or do the defrag.

I would disable any virus scanner and other systray icons while this runs. Sometimes a virus scanner will make something like a defragmenter keep starting over because the scanner keeps writing to the disk.

I agree- XP does not automatically defrag the disk. NTFS will only mark bad blocks on the fly. The O/S still throws the files all over the place when it's writing, defrag cleans that up.

Archived