looking for funny 'upside down' upright piano

Roald

• Members

sunday, I was in a very cool and ultrasmall jazz club. The club is especially cool (my favorite) since Berlin's best musicians jam there every sunday, and also because you have to join somebody else at a table, since there are not that many seats, and you always emet interesting people.

When 10 people order wine, they are out of glasses :D

BUT!

there is this very cool little piano, and I would like to know the brand and / or model. It doesn't say anything on the thing itself. The piano is about the size and height of a suitcase Rhodes. The strings are relatively short, and the mechanism is different: the hammers must point downwards instead of upwards (in a normal piano) so the piano can stay low. The looks of the piano are a bit 'artdeco'like, very clean, and it's probably a German brand because Germans won't play anything but German pianos.

does anybody know this brand?

would love top have one since it is small cute and relatively silent.

• Members

Mate, STEER CLEAR of these pianos.

They are called "Dropped Action Spinet' Pianos, and they are a nightmare!

Extremely difficult to maintain and tune, plus they are very badly constructed. Apparently Yamaha also made 2 models, 1 of which was ok, but still very poor compared to an upright.

All of the piano technicians I know refuse to work on them because they are just bad news.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Mike

• Members

ok. I will check and ask for the construction. It was just a guess... I have not yet looked inside, but the piano plays and sounds nice.

I played at a bechstein store monday, and it was so inspiring...I could theoretically afford to rent a piano or buy a cheap 2nd hand one next year, but the noise would be a big problem for my neighbours...the house is made of cardboard. But its so much more fun than an epiano (except the rhodes of course :D) since you dont have the legato problem of the p120

:rolleyes:

Keybass: Berlin=cheap! eating out is cheaper than cooking yourself and you can rent a house from 300-400 eur that is already pretty acceptable.

Archived